After being an avid moutain biker for years I decided to go ahead and build up a roadbike, after trying out a mates and finding this great forum...
Firstly after posting this thread,
I got a complete bike from my man Hilts for a bargain £75
It arrived and as Hilts had already told me, it wasn't all good, a lot of parts needed replacing but for the money I had :
2 wheels (the back hub turned out to be shot to pieces, more about this later)
2 working STI brake levers
2 new quick release skewers
Various other bits that I ended up replacing anyway
Starting the strip.......
The paint was a bit marked in places and I didn't really like the colour, I did think about getting it powder coated at first but in the end decided to strip it back to the bare metal (by hand
This took a loonnnnnng time and plenty of nitromors, steel wool, elbow grease...
most of the paint came off easily enough but some bits of it just wouldn't shift no matter how much acid I painted on or how much I swore at them.
In the end small wire wool drill attachments and more elbow grease finally got rid of the last little bits....
T-Cut, the mighty Autosol and yet more bloody elbow grease finally got it cleaned up and looking very nice if I do say so myself
Built up a bit to see what I was playing with
Now it was my aim to get as many components for the build via this forum, and I did get some nice bits...including
105 rear mech
Mavic CXP30 Wheelset
Some stuff I bought new - all the bearings were gone on the bike when I got it so off to CRC for :
Shimano 105 Cassette
Then I decided to get some flash new tyres too
2x Michelin Pro3 Race
2x Slime innertubes
I also picked up a great new Flite saddle at my LBS for a bargain £25, and after deciding to remove the smaller front chain ring to run the bike 1x9, it looked a little like this :
I thought at first I'd get this project finished in a couple of weeks - but it ended up taking way longer than this, plus costing me way more than I intended to spend as well
Once I started to build the bike up I ran into a couple of problems.....
Firstly one of the Campag brakes I'd bought didn't fit, so after more help from the retrobike gurus....
I had to get that retapped.
Luckily my cousin's dad is a caretaker and has a toolshop at his disposal, so that was that sorted.
After taking the (mostly fixed up) bike out on a test ride, the rear hub literally started to drop to pieces after 2 miles
A visit to my LBS confirmed its condition (The technical term used by the guy was "f**ked" I believe) so it was back to the forum to hunt for a new wheel.
NakedGav came to my rescue with a fine pair of CXP30s for just £45! So I snapped those up and got them on the bike.
Again, not totally knowing what I was doing (1st build and all) the new back wheel was way out of line with the frame and I had no idea why..
Back to the forum
and got an answer, as the thread says my LBS re-dished the wheel and I was good to go at last.
I left the bar tape until the bitter end, this went on monday night..and finally my BH Oquina was completed!!
Bits of mud on the frame above due to taking it out for it's first 25 miles yesterday up the Bath cyclepath
I have to say a big thanks to everyone on this forum for your help and advice, plus all the cheap parts!
Still need to try the longer stem out as I'm not 100% on the riding position yet, however compared to a mountain bike the acceleration and speed on this thing is ridiculous!
I know the build isn't all strictly
retro but I decided to run with it anyway, hope you all like it... cheers Retrobike!