1996 Favori (Ellis-Briggs)

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
Last seen just as a frame I have now been able to build this into a complete bike using parts from my time-trial bike (which will hopefully be upgraded for next year). I went out on it this morning for a couple of hours and, apart from a few small position tweaks, it felt good. I'll try it on the group run in the morning which is around 50 miles and I don't expect any problems.

Frame: Columbus EL (the lightest Columbus tube set made) 57cm

Fork: Columbus EL with sloping crown

Headset: Campag Mirage
Stem: Cinelli XA
Handlebar: Cinelli 64-42
Bar Tape: Mottled Black & White!

Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano 105 8 speed STI
Brake Calipers: Shimano 105 Dual Pivot
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Yes!

Shifters: Shimano 105 8 speed STI
Front Derailleur: Shimano 105
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 8 speed
Derailleur Cables: Yes
Cassette: Shimano 8 speed
Cranks: Shimano 105
Chainrings: Shimano 105 52-39
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN54 107mm
Pedals: Shimano SPD

Rims: Mavic Open SUP Clincher
Hubs: Shimano 105
Hub Skewers: Shimano 105
Nipples: Yes
Spokes: Stainless 15/17
Tyres: Michelin Axial
Tubes: Yes!

Saddle: Titanium Flite
Seatpost: Zoom
Seatpost Binder: Allen Key bolt

Bottle Cage: Alloy
Extras: Cinelli Spinacci Bar Extensions

Weight: approx 21 lbs

I've realised that I don't have a very good side-on shot so I'll try and get one tomorrow.

Attachments

• FavoriBikeOct09.3.A.jpg
    FavoriBikeOct09.3.A.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 4,575
  • FavoriBikeOct09.1.A.jpg
    FavoriBikeOct09.1.A.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 4,574
  • FavoriBikeOct09.2.A.jpg
    FavoriBikeOct09.2.A.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 4,575
yes it is nice .

but they should have chosen a color a bit more different than Bianchis .

need a new bar tape though . ;)

The guy I bought it from ordered the colour. It's actually slightly different from my Bianchi although I suspect that 'Bianchi Celeste' has changed over the years. I like it - so there! :LOL:

The bar tape is full of '90's flavour, sets the name decals off perfectly. Just wait until I get some matching White & Black tyres as well ;)

Looks a solid mid 90s road iron built from quality tubing - bet it rides nice! TBH not heard of the brand though.

What do you think of the Spinaci things Ned? I think I detect a real difference to say, the hoods. Could I feel any difference or would it take a stop watch?

John":2dffk7im said:
Looks a solid mid 90s road iron built from quality tubing - bet it rides nice! TBH not heard of the brand though.

John, you surprise me. You've heard of Ellis-Briggs of Shipley though, haven't you? Ridden by lots of top Yorkshire roadmen in the past, Ken Russell from Bradford won the 1952 Tour of Britain on one and the bike is regularly displayed at the annual Classic Bike Show. 'Favori' was/is a 'brand name' they use.

Have a look here -

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... s_main.htm

And you're right, it does ride well. I've been out with the weekly group rides several times on it for 50-60 miles and it's fine.

Regarding the Spinacci's, I fitted them for show rather than go as befits a '90's bike but in fact I've taken them off for actual riding as I didn't use them, especially in the group. I find them a bit short and low for comfort but I suppose if you get used to them there will be an advantage just like tri-bars. I can see why the UCI banned them for bunch racing as control is compromised in 'the tuck'. Better off with a proper set of tri-bars if you want to time trial or similar.

Great looking frame but (as usual for me) would use aero livers and down tube shifters rather than the STis - somehow looks just so on a quality lugged frame. Agree re. the bar tape too, plain black would leave the frame as a highlight. Oh, and skinwalls too.

The above is obviously just nitpicking as it does look a really tidy machine. I take it that Ellis Briggs choose Favori to sound Italian?

ededwards":cxzdrhsc said:
Great looking frame but (as usual for me) would use aero livers and down tube shifters rather than the STis - somehow looks just so on a quality lugged frame. Agree re. the bar tape too, plain black would leave the frame as a highlight. Oh, and skinwalls too.

The above is obviously just nitpicking as it does look a really tidy machine. I take it that Ellis Briggs choose Favori to sound Italian?

The frame was built in '96 so 8 speed STI's are the correct shifters to use. It's nice to get the chance to use some on an 'old' bike. The tyres will hopefully be replaced by a pair of Black and Green or Black and White Michelins soon - and I like the tape! (especially as it was 'free' off another bike.)

I expect you could be right about the Favori name but they have used it for a long time. I've never (yet!) discovered why as the Ellis-Briggs name itself has a very good reputation.

Back