Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:58 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Viscount
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:54 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Viscount, keeping it as well. Seems to be close or is the Aerospace. At fixedgeargallery, someone put up a picture showing their fork did indeed crack up the middle area so I have installed a typical chromed fork on it and saved the old. The frame must all be alloy. Kind of amazing for a bike of that vintage which I'd think is near 1976+/-.

Specs much like the one here: http://ibikedb.net/bikes/35137-viscount-aerospace-g-p with some differences; Rear Mech: Shimano Titlist, Front Shimano Thunderbird, big amber gum walled tyres, unmarked or Viscount brakes, Viscounts own chainwheel, handlebars are aluminum/alloy and a bit skinny but I will keep as stock.

Informative discussion here: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21010 sums things up fairly well.

Attachments:
File comment: Viscount
Viscount2.JPG
Viscount2.JPG [ 54.17 KiB | Viewed 3823 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:21 pm 
Retro Guru

Very nice bike. Maybe nice to know that (to my knowledge) Viscount, or Lambert as they were called before, was the only post-war bicycle manufacturer that set out to make all parts in house.
THis prooved not to be so easy and after a bankrupty (and changed the name to Viscount) and the help of Yamaha, more and more parts were bought in. My 75 doesn't have the home-made pedals (die-cast which was actually pretty modern!), and deraillers. I would love to have an early 70's one.
The "fork of death" story is a bit exaggerated, in my opinion. This will give a bit more background, for the once interested:
ctc link. It seems that only 3 were ever found to have cracks of the thousands that have been made.
Furthermore, there have been 3 models that very much resemble eachother, before yamaha put in a generic japanese model. I have seen a picture with all 3 models on how to tell them apart, but I have lost that for now.
I am not really sure which one I have, but I will very likely ride it.
Don't you love the fillet welded frame? Looks very modern!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:23 pm 
Retro Guru

Here the 3 forks:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:57 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Magnet sticks to the top of the fork, so I have a #3!!! A safe one. Top Tube of the Fork has a pin type hole. Yes, it is a #3: I can also tell this to the one bike owner as we discussed this matter. I have a Yamaha Fork. Now, we know too the seat tubes have had problems too. Well, I use this one so far, for a lot of safe riding, bike paths and the like.

I needed an extra steel chromed fork anyway (the Raleigh I have actually has peeled a bit, left it in the rain, unfortunately, to often), I could switch them perhaps.

You sure knew a lot about this. A bit of a historian.

Thanks so much Senri! A toast to you for knowing this detail.

I've communicated with a few other owners, Hillerud over at Fixed Gear has his bicycle up there and he said there was a bit of a "smear campaign" against Viscount in the '70s. Serious words but perhaps something of that nature.

This chrome fork I put on is still a bit lighter I believe. We will see.

No one ever puts an aluminum fork on a steel frame as far as I know. But now, this is a "half steel" fork. We will see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:36 pm 
Retro Guru

No problem! I like to know as much as possible about my bikes or reading about a story sets me an a search. And you have to admit, this story is not very common!