1958 Pennine

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
After knowing about this being available for a few weeks I finally managed to acquire it a couple of days ago. It is a 1958 Pennine (Bradford) frame built for its original previous owner who, going by the components currently fitted, must have had it renovated in the early 80's. Unfortunately, in doing so, the original early style Pennine 'script' name and original 531 transfers have been lost so the 531 transfer is the 'respray' version. Also, the original 'Benelux' rear dropouts have had the 'hanger' section cut off to allow a more modern mech to be fitted. The Benelux one was curved outwards and not in-line with the face of the wheel slot which makes fitting parallelogram gears slightly awkward.

Pennine Cycles (still in Bradford ) have suggested I take it to the shop as they will probably be able to give me some more info once their frame builder (who probably built this over 50 years ago!) has seen it.

My intention is to source some late 50's/early '60's components such as a Benelux Mk 7 'spring' rear gear (or a Super Sixty or P2 parallelogram one), a Cyclo rod front changer, steel double chainset (Williams, Stronglight etc.), GB bars and stem, leather saddle (been promised an unused Brooks Professional) and possibly some 27" HP's.

There is a single Benelux gear lever DT boss fitted and I know where I can get the proper Benelux lever.

I will then probably sell on the current fittings.

Current spec is -

Frame: 23" 531 with 22" top tube and 41" wheelbase. Probably 72 parallel angles. Frame number 3374.

Fork: 531 - large rake! Lamp bracket boss.

Headset: Tange Levin - to modern really
Stem: 3T
Handlebar:3T
Bar Tape:Benotto

Brake Levers/Brifters:Weinmann with QR and knackered hoods!
Brake Calipers:Weinmann 730
Brake Pads:Weinmann

Shifters: Campag '70's/80's Gran Sport band on.
Front Derailleur:Suntour VX
Rear Derailleur:Suntour VX

Cranks:SR Custom
Chainrings:52/42

Pedals:KK Quill, Christophe clips and straps.

Rims:Mavic Montlhery
Hubs:Maillard LF
Hub Skewers:Maillard
Nipples:Yes!
Spokes:Yes! Rusty 'rustless' type
Tyres:Wolber Junior tubulars - still usable after 25 years plus!

Saddle:Milremo (made by Arius)
Seatpost:Standard alloy

Attachments

• 58PennineAug09.1.A.jpg
    58PennineAug09.1.A.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 2,342
  • 58PennineAug09.3.A.jpg
    58PennineAug09.3.A.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2,342
It's great when a craftsman gets to see his work again. I'm sure they'd be able to return the frame to its original design and would be grateful for the publicity too.

So, what does it ride like???

Looking very relaxed there, ..maybe even 71' on the seat tube ?
I might have a Benelux mech, PM me if interested.

-Those Wolbers sound scary!

So, looks like you have the 50s covered now!

...and in what a way! Great bike, that 1st will be an interesting project too as the 80s stuff has to go. Can the 50s 'Pennine' style for the decals easily be achieved?

Mike":1toyqbud said:
It's great when a craftsman gets to see his work again. I'm sure they'd be able to return the frame to its original design and would be grateful for the publicity too.

So, what does it ride like???

I don't think I'll do anything with the frame, just the fittings. The paintwork is virtually perfect after its refurbishment so not worth changing. Pennine get plenty of publicity locally, one of the well known Yorkshire shops, lots of people ride them.

Haven't ridden it yet - apart from a hundred yards or so up the road. The stem is to short for me really and the steering feels a bit strange with the long fork rake compared to my 'tight', more modern frames. However, it should be quite a comfortable ride once I get used to it. I may fit some mudguards and use it in the winter occasionally.

The frame angles could possibly 73/71 but with it having a shortish 22" top tube I'm not sure. The 2 degree difference would make for a longer TT I would have thought.

Not sure about the old style transfers, they could be available. I'd have to get the current ones off somehow though and they are well lacquered over.

The tyres are in amazingly good condition, no sign of perishing or deterioration and they hold their pressure. They'll probably go as spares in due course.

Back