My 1st road bike - 1996 Klein Quantum Pro

Archangel

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
After riding mountain bikes for 17 years, I bought me a retro road bike frameset! It's a 1996 Klein Quantum Pro in Burgundy Blue Linear paintjob, size 55.

qp_proj_1.jpg

So the project is still going on. It will be built with Campagnolo Record 10-spd components. I have the most parts although I haven't installed them yet.
It's going to have
- Record Titanium derailleurs & brakes (skeleton)
- Record Titanium/Steel 11-25 10-spd cassette
- Record Carbon cranks
- Record Carbon BB-System shift/brake levers
- Tune Mig/Mag hubs, Sapim X-Ray spokes, Mavic Open Pro rims
- Easton EC90 bar
- Thomson Masterpiece seatpost
- Selle Italia SLC seat (also have Flite Carbon for more retro look)

I'm still missing:
- chain (KMC X10 SL)
- bar tape (Easton cork perhaps?)
- skewers (Tune DC)
- pedals (Look Keo2)
- tyres (was supposed to be Schwalbe Ultremo R but they've got quality issues)
- tubes (something light)

I'm being haunted by Quantums, I want one so bad.... Don't tell me where you live cause that cable lock wouldn't stop me from stealing the bike from your house :twisted:

Seriously though, that's a hell of a bike. I would be tempted to put it on some flashier wheels, but maybe these will also look good once the tyres have been fitted. And although these classic bent dropbars are better looking, I find the more modern ergo bars to be much more comfortable (you know the ones with a hump in the bend like these http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/coronadelmar ... 4cm_03.JPG ) You might want to compare the feeling of both before taping it up and making it harder to switch the bars.

Have I mentioned I need a Quantum yet? :oops:

a Klein racebike, what else - very nice :)

really, do you have to lock your bikes in the house :eek:

That's not my house but a rented storage room where I keep some of my bikes.
And yes, they're locked as well as the bikes at home for the insurance doesn't cover stolen bikes if they're not locked (even if they are in a locked storage shelter).

I think that classic road bikes look better with "normal" wheels, not modern ones like Ksyrium etc. The Tune wheelset is pretty light too.

Quantum riders are as suave and debonair as they are handsome......that's a well known fact.

Scientists have said so............. :p

Archangel":3lbcp071 said:
That's not my house but a rented storage room where I keep some of my bikes.
And yes, they're locked as well as the bikes at home for the insurance doesn't cover stolen bikes if they're not locked (even if they are in a locked storage shelter).

oh, I see - should consult my insurance company regarding that !

Archangel":3lbcp071 said:
I think that classic road bikes look better with "normal" wheels, not modern ones like Ksyrium etc. The Tune wheelset is pretty light too.

agree !

Sure I don't like those stickered modern rims either, even on modern bikes but I thought maybe some older Campagnolo or Gipiemme maybe but I'm sure it'll be a handsome bike with these wheels too.

ahh!! ive been buying parts for mine too!! hopefully ill have this groupset and then two more weeks then ill be done :D

love how yours is looking so far! cant wait to hear how it rides, hope it blows mine out of the water (ill give you a run for your money though... haha, HEDcx 65mm wheels, ultegra groupset + dura ace casette 9 speed & fsa slk cranks and fsa platinum pro ti bb)

love it! definitely a better color than mine though, seriously, like ive said before, BEAUTIFUL

p.s. great component choice, your going all out! definitely an amazing first road bike.

Seems like there are quite a few Quantums on here now. Tempting me to spend more £££ I don't have.

Still looks like a really top build, hows it getting along??

Back