1989? (or maybe 1990) Carlton 'Randonneur'

carlton dyna-tech

Old School Hero
I visited Gerald O'Donovan not-long after the Special Products Unit at Ilkeston had been closed and had moved to Nottingham. When at Ilkeston he had measured me up for a Raleigh Maverick 531 MTB in Raleigh/Panasonic colours and afterwards I also decided I would like an 'ultimate' tourer. During the visit to Nottingham, Mr O'Donovan measured me up for the tourer which was going to be based on the Raleigh Randonneur frame and forks which had just become available. I asked for it to be sprayed black and I wanted it with Carlton logos because of his historic connection with Carlton Cycles of Worksop.

Over the years the equipment spec changed from Shimano to Suntour but I eventually settled on Campagnolo around the mid-1990s. The current spec is similar to what it was then. This Summer I have had it resprayed and had chrome 'ends' applied. She will now outlive me I think. :)

I am not exactly sure of the date of the frame, it was either 1989 or 1990, the frame number is SB8674. Maybe if bikemeister2000 reads this he can enlighten me?

Reynolds 531ST frame and forks
Cinelli 1A stem
Cinelli Randonneur bars
1990s Campagnolo Racing Triple chainset (30/40/50)
1990s Campagnolo Racing Triple front and rear mechs
1994 Campagnolo Chorus Ergo levers
Campagnolo Centaur (MTB) hubs (‘retro’ skewers fitted)
Campagnolo 8-speed block
Campagnolo Euclid cantilever brakes (Graphite finish)
Campagnolo Centaur (MTB) pedals
Campagnolo Aero seat post
MKS Toe-clips
Christophe leather straps
Blackburn pannier rack
Blackburn bottle cage
1990 Brooks Professional saddle
1990 ESGE Mudguards
Alloy rims (can’t remember the make)/Stainless Steel spokes
Panaracer Pasela tyres

main.php

main.php

That is very nice! -love the chroming.
I always think Campag's durability suits a touring bike, plus it's just more.. er, luxurious? I intended to 'Campy-up' my Randonneur, but sold it and bought a Campag'd Dynatech Voyager instead.

So when are you off on the 'epic' then?... :cool:

Stunning.....

The Randonneur production frame had a spoke holder for 2 spare spokes on the drive-side chainstay. However BB shells stamped with SB numbers indicate it was a made-to-measure frame so may not have had these fitted.

Not sure of the year, but Gerald would be pleased with the finish. :D

Gerald.jpg

Best regards

Thanks for the nice comment, bikemeister2000.

Yes I remember now, the production Randonneurs did have the spoke holder on the chainstay...this Carlton does not.

Lovely to see a pic of the great-man himself (Gerald O'Donovan), brings back fond memories of the couple of times I met him. I made sure when I had the respray done that I replaced the GVOD logo sticker in his memory. Truly a frame designed by 'GOD', :D

Attachments

• Gerald_O_Donovan_logo.jpg
    Gerald_O_Donovan_logo.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 3,195
Gerald was a great man. What he didn't know about frame design was not worth knowing. I worked with him for about 10 years.

The Randonneur was the baby of Melvin Cresswell, my boss at that time. The frame drawings were done by Jeff Sharp.

Gerald may be gone, but certainly not forgotten.

Gerald was a great man. What he didn't know about frame design was not worth knowing. I worked with him for about 10 years.

The Randonneur was the baby of Melvin Cresswell, my boss at that time. The frame drawings were done by Jeff Sharp.

Gerald may be gone, but certainly not forgotten.

Hi Bikemeister2000.
I know this is an old thread but I came across it as I believe you mention my dad, Jeff Sharp. Did you work with him at Raleigh?

Hi Bikemeister2000.
I know this is an old thread but I came across it as I believe you mention my dad, Jeff Sharp. Did you work with him at Raleigh?
Hi Daniel,
Yes indeed I did. Like me, he was recruited to the new Lightweight Department as it was called then. It was created when Carlton Cycles at Worksop was closed down.
He was responsible for providing all the frame and fork drawings to enable us to produce them.
We were a very successful and close team that worked together extremely well. We also had a lit of fun in the process too.
Regards
Steve

Back