Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:47 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: GPH Heswall 531ST
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:42 pm 
Retro Guru

My recently accquired GPH Heswall 531ST, fits me like a glove & is lovely to ride.
59cm c-t & 57cm c-c top tube.
Came with Record hubs & Mavic anodised MA40's which I've replaced with newer late 80's Campy/Suntour sealed hubs on Wolber Super Champion Modele 58 rims. Smooth as butter :-)
Brooks B17 Champion Narrow (billy no name seatpin soon to be replaced)
Shimano 600; non indexed shifters, single pot brake calipers plus non aero levers & long cage rear.
Sedis Chain
Sakae; Bottom bracket, Compact cranks 50/36, handlebars
SR Forged stem.
Lyotard pedals/Christophe clips & Grand Premio straps.
Tange Headset
ESGE Mudguards
Weight 11.1kg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:30 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

nice that.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:09 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

GPH = Geoff Hughes, a long time member of the Birkenhead North End CC who was a very good local rider in the 60's and 70's (possibly longer?).

As ridden by Chris Boardman in his junior days in TT's.

A nice looking bike, perfect for long steady miles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:59 pm 
Retro Guru

Old Ned wrote:
GPH = Geoff Hughes, a long time member of the Birkenhead North End CC who was a very good local rider in the 60's and 70's (possibly longer?).

As ridden by Chris Boardman in his junior days in TT's.

A nice looking bike, perfect for long steady miles.

Thanks for the info, couldn't make out the signature on the bike, the only legible bit was Heswall cycles which I could find nothing about though obviously Heswall is just the other side of the M53 to Birkenhead.
I bought it off a chap who's son was into track so not suitable, they said it was given to them by some old ex-army officer.
Now for the rain to subside a bit :-)

Post subject: Iv got one of those
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:17 pm 

I have one of those badboys, i got it for free and the stem snapped on the ride home from work, new stem comes tomorrow i will post up some pics to make yours look shinier and nicer

Post subject: Re: Iv got one of those
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 pm 
Retro Guru

Blanch wrote:
I have one of those badboys, i got it for free and the stem snapped on the ride home from work, new stem comes tomorrow i will post up some pics to make yours look shinier and nicer

Nice one, to my mind this is a lush an audax set up as I'd want, nothing to go wrong (much!) lovely looking and perfectly functional.
There is a website called merseyside bicycles with more info and other bikes from scouse land 8) http://merseysidebicycles.blogspot.com/ ... -results=7

Post subject: The long awaited GPH
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:01 pm 

Sorry it has been a while since i have upladed the photos of my GPH its taken me a while to figure out how to shrink down photos so that they can be uploaded.
It is now my daily ride to work when its not raining or i have a bout of drivey-itis and skive off riding.

Attachments:
File comment: The mighty GPH
Rust-Lightening.jpeg
Rust-Lightening.jpeg [ 160.41 KiB | Viewed 2659 times ]

Post subject: My GPH
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:21 pm 

I Recently aquired an early 80's frame and components built By Geoff Hughes (GPH). I am told most of the parts are the originals too, except tyres of course. Currently stripped and being cleaned and refurbed a little. will post a picture if i can shrink one down to fit the file requirements. It is a deep burgundy metallic colour with part chromed stays and chrome forks, all 531 tubing etc. Michellin racing tubs, gran compe brakes,

Attachments:
IMG-20110515-00167.jpg
IMG-20110515-00167.jpg [ 253.85 KiB | Viewed 1810 times ]

Last edited by amgpainter on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My GPH
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:42 pm 
Retro Guru

amgpainter wrote:
I Recently aquired an early 80's frame and components built By Geoff Hughes (GPH). I am told most of the parts are the originals too, except tyres of course. Currently stripped and being cleaned and refurbed a little. will post a picture if i can shrink one down to fit the file requirements. It is a deep burgundy metallic colour with part chromed stays and chrome forks, all 531 tubing etc. Michellin racing tubs, gran compe brakes,

You can load the photo onto something like Flickr or other photo host website then grab the link & insert it here which is what I did with mine.

Post subject: GPH 80s bike
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:04 pm 

amgpainter's GPH looks very similar to my long-lost and much-missed bike but I'm pretty sure mine only had chrome drop-outs, not the whole fork. From memory, and it's a long time ago (for me), I had Record derailleurs and hubs, Mavic route tubeless rims, can't remember the brakes.

Geoff sold a number of frames in this gorgeous colour. It was bought for me by my Dad after good A Level results (in '83/4) and like a muppet I sold it after a couple of years at college :oops: - to a merchant seaman from Sweden, I think - through an ad in the Post or the Wirral Globe.

Have spent many years mourning the loss and kicking myself, it's great to see a bike of the same colour still going strong! If anyone else has a metallic burgundy GPH it would be great to see a pic.