Zap!

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Today I got my hands on this 'Colnago'. Well, the only thing Colnago on this bike are the decals. It's actually a Vitus. There is also one Buckler sticker.

The bike is equipped with Mavic Zap. Electronic gear change by Mavic.

3733056292_66672625f6_b.jpg

It needs a cleaning, a polishing and hopefully only a new battery. The Zap isn't working yet.

There are two of those units: One on top the bar and one under the brake lever >>

3732262439_edf441c978.jpg

In the right bar end the battery can be found.

The mech >>

3732259681_0c322928ae.jpg

Only the rear mech is electronic operated.

Old fashion by hand power operated brake >>

3733061574_e65b5794a5.jpg

Not forgotten: Proper bearings :cool: >>

3733058804_91e0f8d468.jpg

Sweeeeeeet. Hope you can get it running. Planning on keeping the bike as is?

Mmmmmm tasty.

Interesting mech... I knew retrobike was the future :p

Would love to know how well it works... (R mech only???)

Yes, it is C :cool: l. Thx for the kind words.

The Vitus-Zap was part of a package deal together with a ca 1980 Dura Ace EX equipped Nishiki.

John":2ayopdcf said:
Planning on keeping the bike as is?

What to do with it? Good Q ...and always fun finding the right answer on it. I understood from the person who collected it for me that seller told him the bike belonged to rider .... (he didn't recall) previously. I will get in touch with the seller to learn who it is and if the bike was from someone well known, who used it for training purposes or during amateur racing or whatever, I might consider preserving it in original glory. I case not it will sure end up in pieces as 53cm is way to small for me.

If so, I could consider the following: As you know I have two Panasonic PR-6000 roadbikes and both are equipped with DA7402. If I want a little variation going for Campa is not really an option, as I think it would look poor on the PR-6000 frame. In my view the Zap would be pure class instead.

Could also imagine hanging it on an early 90s Gazelle, Jan de Reus or one of the latest Zielemans, but they have to be acquired than.

Other suggestions? Tell me :)

Looks good, same frame as mine - but smaller.

Surprised to see the Colnago decals. I thought they used Alans for their Aluminium models.

Interesting to the the ZAP fittings. Hope you can get them working. Didn't GAN try them for a short while (eg Chris Boardman's time trial bike) but decided the technology wasn't far enough advanced to be totally reliable?

Hello all,

Just came back from the shop where they sold me a fresh battery. No cheapy with 15 euro, but okay I justified it for myself by that is for something exceptional.

Okay, the verdict: Works flawlessly!

So the system is working!

Funny thing is it seems the mech is only is moving when the top pulley is running. To protect the mechanism?

Considering 3 options now >>

Panasonic PR-6000
pana750.jpg

Jan de Reus
reus.jpg

Serotta
serotta750.jpg

The Panasonic would be the cheapest option. I already have one available for the purpose (not the one pictured), plus I would end up with a new condition DA7400 groupset for the sparesbox.

A roadbike by Dutch masterbuilder Jan de Reus is missing in my little collection of vintage Dutch roadbikes. Very neatly made frame. Rare, not easy to find one.

The Serotta would probably have to come from overseas and would be the most expensive option by far.

The zap draws power from the chain to move the mech, that's why it doesn´t work when it's stationary. The zap is a rather quirky piece of kit, I think it deserves a place on a bike that was somewhat groundbreaking in it's time in terms of materials used or aero design, something like that.

Back