my former bosses bates single speed fixed road bike

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
this bike had been stashed, in pieces at the back of GA cycles in a horrible state for god knows how many years but before i changed job last year gary decided he would finally get it refurbed after finding some of the last few parts to build it.

this was the first time i had seen it since then and WOW :shock: what a difference!!

gary told me that some of the parts are not correct but there were reasons why, bar and stem for example are old cinelli but not old enough!! he has the correct bar and stem but doesn't feel confident using them because of the age of the parts and being alloy. apparently the chainset and front hub and post are period record and the rear hub is a chatterly (correct spelling?) the tyres obviousley are modern but i think that is the only thing, the bar tape is brooks as is the saddle and check out the bar plugs, cork! :cool:

the paint is original style and done by bob jackson to the original design, most of the decals are also original.

this bike is way before my time so i'll bet loads of you guys know more about it than me but i thought you would enjoy the pics

:D

Attachments

• photo0137resized.jpg
    photo0137resized.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2,855
  • Photo0138resized.jpg
    Photo0138resized.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 2,855
  • Photo0139resized.jpg
    Photo0139resized.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 2,855
  • Photo0142resized.jpg
    Photo0142resized.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 2,855
more pics :D

Attachments

• Photo0143resized.jpg
    Photo0143resized.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,854
  • Photo0144resized.jpg
    Photo0144resized.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2,854
  • Photo0145resized.jpg
    Photo0145resized.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 2,854
  • Photo0146resized.jpg
    Photo0146resized.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,854
last 2! :D

Attachments

• Photo0147resized.jpg
    Photo0147resized.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2,853
  • Photo0148resized.jpg
    Photo0148resized.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 2,853
Wow! :cool: Do you reckon he'd do a swap? I've got two lovely kids and a rather hard working, useful wife :D

i find it a funny coincidence that it was about the time that i started coming on here alot that gary decided to get it done and finished! i think talking about old stuff all the time in my last year of work for gary really rubbed off on him!! :LOL:

he has a 92 explosif aswel, although it has been modified quite abit though. he removed the rack and mudguard bosses, cut some of the seatube off at the top to save weight then it was painted almost flouro yellow, that was 14 years ago. the spec is m900 gearset on a selection of wheels from spinergy to hope/mavic to white industries/mavic, all period-ish. then it has avid v brakes. it has a TI P2 fork or an original SID depending what he wants to run. very nice machine. loads of aluminium and ti bolts aswel.

Back