MKM again

KINGCUTTER

Retro Guru
Can't beleive that Ned just picked this up today.
Just picked this up not sure what to do with it yet,I know nothing about it,maybe some of you experts can tell me a bit more about it.

MKM frame and forks 531 tubing and full campagnolo Record and super Record it came without the wheels I have just put on an old set to see what it rides like.

mkm003.jpg

mkm004.jpg

Now thats got potential Mark. A very tidy frame with lots of character, call me a revolutionary but i'd just restore it, think the original colour scheme is fantastic.

sinnett177":ppxrtjj1 said:
Now thats got potential Mark. A very tidy frame with lots of character, call me a revolutionary but i'd just restore it, think the original colour scheme is fantastic.

+1 A good clean and lub :cool:

Cheers Ned after a bit of research i think i would like to keep it and it is my size i think not taken it for a real ride yet,but once i do i will make a choice if i do have it done may take it to atlantic boulavard i would love to see the info you have and you are more than welcome to come over for a brew and a look,i will give mark a bell if you do we can have a retro ride out .

KINGCUTTER":vxaxmb0b said:
Cheers Ned after a bit of research i think i would like to keep it and it is my size i think not taken it for a real ride yet,but once i do i will make a choice if i do have it done may take it to atlantic boulavard i would love to see the info you have and you are more than welcome to come over for a brew and a look,i will give mark a bell if you do we can have a retro ride out .

NO, NO - keep the original paintwork, use a bit of red T-Cut on it and just leave it as it is. Patina is not a problem. It will be appreciated much more by 'those who know' if it's still original as much as possible.

Good idea about the ride - retro road bikes obviously?! How about spreading the word and getting more members there?

Great idea lets really get this sorted loads of retro mountain bike rides but no road bike rides we could even meet in cheshire nice and flat and some nice pubs like the old days of the CTC.
On another note still trying to suss out how to adjust the saddle it's the old style record.

Cheshire sounds good, like you say - a bit flatter! I'm hoping to be over there on August 15 for an 'Old Skool' 25 - riding my MKM.

Regards the saddle, if you pull back the flaps (steady!!) of the saddle you will see two bolts on top of the seat pin (in a very awkward position). However, these are the ones to adjust the angle. Slacken and tighten them in turn until you get the required inclination. Campag did make an angled spanner to fit these but they're quite scarce and I've never actually seen one. I just struggle with a small open ended one. The rear one can also be accessed from the back of the saddle between the rails but the front one is more of a pain. Saying all this, the original Campag seat pin is possibly the most secure and infinitely adjustable seat pin made, copied profusely by other makers such as Zeus etc.

Are you sure it's the right size for you? I'm sure it's to small and would fit me much better........................................

Thanks for that took your advice and give it a good polish looks lush now,and the record has come up very shiny,on the look out for some high flange wheels now.

Gave the MKM a good clean and found what I think the perfect wheels for it high flange record hubs,laced with some nice sprints,went for a quick spin and it feels stunning.

mkm001.jpg

mkm002.jpg

(Sorry Ned not for sale)

Back