Panasonic Raleigh (2nd coming)

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Ok, here's another Panasonic Raleigh although not as tidy as the one already posted.

531c frame
Nuovo Record groupset throughout (bar lever hoods - the original ones were perished and NOS ones would have set me back half the cost of the bike :shock: )

Attachments

• Raleigh rear mech.JPG
    Raleigh rear mech.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 5,411
  • Raleigh chainset.JPG
    Raleigh chainset.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 5,410
  • Raleigh Heron.JPG
    Raleigh Heron.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 5,411
  • Raleigh Panasonic.JPG
    Raleigh Panasonic.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 5,411
New arrival Ed?

Looks great, good to see one of your bikes is almost your size rather than mine :LOL:

Is the bike SBDU built? Or is it too late? Or is it one of the more regular mass-produced frames.

John":17ynf4cp said:
New arrival Ed?

Looks great, good to see one of your bikes is almost your size rather than mine :LOL:

Is the bike SBDU built? Or is it too late? Or is it one of the more regular mass-produced frames.

from my hours of SB built routing around - the top routed rear brake cable suggests mass produced - I bet a jam donut on it.

Its only 'cos I'm jealous. Everything I find looks as if its been shat on and used as Optimus Prime's tooth pick.

Raleigh

It's a Reynolds 531 butted frame w/shot-in stays and was buit at the Lightweight department on Faraday Road in Nottingham.

At that time SBDU was down to about 5 guys in a small section within the Lightweight Dept.

So, not main factory, and not SBDU, but still hand made from tube cutting to frame brazing, and if the little sicker under the Reynold badge is Gold, it was hand assembled by one man from start to finish.

If the sticker is silver it was sold as a frameset only.

Either way the pics are great and brought back some happy memories

Re: Raleigh

bikemeister2000":369fff5b said:
It's a Reynolds 531 butted frame w/shot-in stays and was buit at the Lightweight department on Faraday Road in Nottingham.

At that time SBDU was down to about 5 guys in a small section within the Lightweight Dept.

So, not main factory, and not SBDU, but still hand made from tube cutting to frame brazing, and if the little sicker under the Reynold badge is Gold, it was hand assembled by one man from start to finish.

If the sticker is silver it was sold as a frameset only.

Either way the pics are great and brought back some happy memories

Superb knowledge, many thanks for sharing.

Any idea what year this might be from?

I'd say that yours is just as clean a mine looking at the pictures. Some great info on this thread. I didn't realise that the 753 model was available to Joe public. Nice to see it in it's original spec too. I'm working on those odd bits on mine and will get some pictures up when it's been sorted.

Nice to see another though thanks for posting.

Back