Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:05 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:20 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:42 pm
Posts: 5132
Location: Wakefield, Yorkshire
Very nice John, I like it.

I've got a pair of those Modolo brake levers but all black. I've not seen the black and white ones. I might use them on a bike sometime but not got the right one yet.

I've also recently started using DT shifters again on the Duralinox. It's quite a backward technology shift to have to grope down to find them. It's a good job they're Shimano indexed, just a quick click and away. I still find myself trying to move the brake lever to shift though!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:38 am 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:19 pm
Posts: 23177
Location: Retrobike HQ
Old Ned wrote:
Very nice John, I like it.

I've got a pair of those Modolo brake levers but all black. I've not seen the black and white ones. I might use them on a bike sometime but not got the right one yet.

I've also recently started using DT shifters again on the Duralinox. It's quite a backward technology shift to have to grope down to find them. It's a good job they're Shimano indexed, just a quick click and away. I still find myself trying to move the brake lever to shift though!


Found it pretty tricky at first going back to DT levers I have to admit. I'd only ridden dt levers in the very early 90s and they were indexed. Never done any time with friction until now. Have to say that having done a few miles with them I quite like them now 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:54 pm 
Deputy National AEC
Deputy National AEC
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 5169
Location: Cumbria, England.
That is one racey looking bike indeed. Top job and an interesting project.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:22 pm 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Posts: 8145
Location: Hereford
John wrote:
Found it pretty tricky at first going back to DT levers I have to admit. I'd only ridden dt levers in the very early 90s and they were indexed. Never done any time with friction until now. Have to say that having done a few miles with them I quite like them now 8)


Ok, off on a tangent as usual and plowing a furrow well worn by me but downtube shifters are the schnizzle and, bar racing, laugh at STIs.

Downtube shifters are an area of infinite subtlety in a machine controlled world. Want to chance gear? The subtlety of gently grasping the smoothly working lever, the finessing of the gear so that it is 'just so'. Against that the cold, harsh, brilliance of the STI, all cold efficiency and no soul. Think vinyl v CD. Think form AND function. Go the STI route and soon we'll be changing gear by thought alone. And then not even riding the bike. It is a slippery slope my friends, a slippery slope.

Also, in an increasingly comfortable, mollycoddled world, isn't the uncertainty of friction shifting somehow reassuring, even a little bit rock and roll (ok, so I argued above that friction shifting was superior and more subtle above but let's not place consistency of argument in the way of the flow). Don't conform, stick it to The Man, friction shift, it's what Che would have done.

And don't even get me on to the tyranny of compatability.

Ok, waffled on but to paraphrase Keith Bontrager - light, simple, robust, cheap, for downtube shifters pick all four.

Keeping it sundial

Ed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:37 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:19 pm
Posts: 23177
Location: Retrobike HQ
ededwards wrote:
John wrote:
Found it pretty tricky at first going back to DT levers I have to admit. I'd only ridden dt levers in the very early 90s and they were indexed. Never done any time with friction until now. Have to say that having done a few miles with them I quite like them now 8)


Ok, off on a tangent as usual and plowing a furrow well worn by me but downtube shifters are the schnizzle and, bar racing, laugh at STIs.

Downtube shifters are an area of infinite subtlety in a machine controlled world. Want to chance gear? The subtlety of gently grasping the smoothly working lever, the finessing of the gear so that it is 'just so'. Against that the cold, harsh, brilliance of the STI, all cold efficiency and no soul. Think vinyl v CD. Think form AND function. Go the STI route and soon we'll be changing gear by thought alone. And then not even riding the bike. It is a slippery slope my friends, a slippery slope.

Also, in an increasingly comfortable, mollycoddled world, isn't the uncertainty of friction shifting somehow reassuring, even a little bit rock and roll (ok, so I argued above that friction shifting was superior and more subtle above but let's not place consistency of argument in the way of the flow). Don't conform, stick it to The Man, friction shift, it's what Che would have done.

And don't even get me on to the tyranny of compatability.

Ok, waffled on but to paraphrase Keith Bontrager - light, simple, robust, cheap, for downtube shifters pick all four.

Keeping it sundial

Ed


I bet your next bike has Record 11.

I think you should put some miles in on 'brifters'. I enjoy riding the merckx with it's retrofriction gearing. As you say it takes a subtle touch.
However the 10 speed Dura Ace on my modern bike rules :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:01 am 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Posts: 8145
Location: Hereford
John wrote:
I think you should put some miles in on 'brifters'. I enjoy riding the merckx with it's retrofriction gearing. As you say it takes a subtle touch.


Have ridden 8 speed Dura Ace quite a bit. It works but is soulless. And lazy. If you can't move your hand to a downtube shifter then you really aren't committed to change gear.

Rode 9 speed Ergos today which worked flawlessly but with so many gears I always had the nagging feeling that I should shift and them almost instantly shift back. To be honest I felt in the wrong gear almost as much as when ss but without the peace of mind. Or fakenger cool.

Merckx is still sweet though and Simplex are the king of downtube shifters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:58 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:03 pm
Posts: 1774
Location: In the village
I'm a downtube shifter anficionado!

There I'm out and I'm proud.

Nothing like the crunching of cog and chain and the sly unwanted shift down a gear just when you really don't need it. I love it :D

Brrrrifters is Tesco.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:03 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:03 pm
Posts: 1774
Location: In the village
Crikey, just looked at the date of the post there.
You could quite easily say that I'm a little behind the curve here.
:oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fossala, originalshinkicker and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group