Not another Viking saga?

chickendrumsticks

Senior Retro Guru
Yup. Another one... but what's going on here? Clearly badged (original paint and transfers) as a "Medallist", a model said to be a Mileater in another guise and only produced for a year (at most two) in the early sixties. Described in the only catalogue I've found ('62) as "built with Reynolds 531 tubing". No mention of butted or forks and stays which is strange because if it's a renamed Mileater it should be all of these.

Now, curiouser still, the frame number is S11907 which according to accepted convention should be an "Ian Steel" model from around 1961 or 62. And it bears only the "basic" 531 tubing transfer.

Was the Medallist name only alive long enough for Viking to clear out some unused frames (maybe Ian Steel ones)? And then reverted to making more Mileaters using full 531 sets?

I think what I have is an Ian Steel model (which were only 531 main tubes) dressed up as something else. Glad to hear any other theories.

Attachments

• Medallist1.jpg
    Medallist1.jpg
    604.5 KB · Views: 1,305
  • Medallist2.jpg
    Medallist2.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 1,301
Re:

A couple of catalogues that may go some way to explaining the conundrum that is this bike:

The bike has in common with the Ian Steel: Reynolds 531 plain tubes; Lycett L15 saddle; Cyclo Benelux MkVII 5 speed rear derailleur; frame number; semi-wrapover seat stays.

In common with the Medallist: Reynolds 531 plain tubes; Nervex Pro lugs (although the Ian Steel ones look similar but called "feature cut"); large flange hubs; GB Coureur 66 c/pulls.

So it's a proper hybrid (although it has no petrol or electric motor that I can find) but really is an Ian Steel with - as advertised - some Medallist features. I don't think a true, unique Medallist model ever really existed but was a marketing effort. But who or what the medallist was I'm unsure.

So I'll keep it as a Medallist (after restoration) but my avatar will secretly be glad it may really be an Ian Steel!

Attachments

• Medallist cat.jpg
    Medallist cat.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 1,211
  • Ian Steel cat.jpg
    Ian Steel cat.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 1,212
The seat cluster has a lot more in common with the Medallist catalogue page than the Ian Steel one.

legrandefromage":13od9puq said:
Old Ned":13od9puq said:
The seat cluster has a lot more in common with the Medallist catalogue page than the Ian Steel one.

what he said

No, he says the Ian Steel has the semi wrap seat stays. The Medallist in the catalogue illustration has semi-wrap stays but the Ian Steel in the catalogue illustration has side attached stays. It is all very confusing although I would never accept a catalogue description of a bike as being sacrosanct. If some components weren't to hand at the time of build I'm sure the manufacturers would fit something else of a similar value. If these illustrations come from the same catalogue then I'll admit there is a bit of a crossover of specifications. The OP's bike's chainset is neither of the 2 shown. Medallist specification offers a choice of parallelogram rear mechs rather than the Benelux Mk 7 of the Ian Steel which would have been a bit dated. But the OP's bike has the Mk 7 mech. Of course, a lot could have been changed in a previous ownership. All very interesting - and just the sort of thing to discuss on a damp winter's evening when the alternative is 'Strictly' :)

Re:

Yup, I was wrong about the IS seat stays. They're not semi wrapover at all. Well spotted Old Ned. The IS and Medallist don't appear together in any catalogue (those from the Classic Vikings" site at least) so the assumption is they were not contemporary, on this evidence.

And the Med. lugs are Nervex Pro but "feature cut" on the IS. So I guess my theory about Medallist being IS by another name falls by the wayside. Thanks Old Ned and LGF for your input.

Now, what about the frame number? It's on the left rear dropout (but none on the steerer) and is clearly S11907 which, again from Classic Vikings frame number register, puts it as an IS after 1960. I know of no other resource with as much info. Does anyone?

Andy

Last edited:
Re:

To save ploughing through every chainset on Velobase, does anyone recognise this chainset please? Described in the brochure as "best continental", what ever that means. My old thing has a simple Williams C1000 I think, but I'd like the one shown.

Thanks

Andy

Attachments

• chainset.JPG
    chainset.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 655
On order are a couple of "specials" from Steve at HLloyd Cycles thus:

and I've asked if he'll copy the suppliers sticker too:

This was my LBS back in the day. The shop is still there - but it's a cafe now :roll: And, rather sadly, all Bryant's records were destroyed in an arson attack on the premises where they were stored. I think it was a lock-up or something :(

Attachments

• medallist pic for quote.JPG
    medallist pic for quote.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 298
  • 20210110_124303.jpg
    20210110_124303.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 298
Back