Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:19 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:39 am 
Retro Guru

A Maclean's Featherweight on here - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=420053

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:49 am 
Retro Guru

Fibrax still make a number of pads, Might be worth a look though - https://fibrax.org/phone/shop.html#!/Ri ... /offset=12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:44 pm 
Retro Guru

So the donor tandem is stripped and has offered up the all important brakes/levers and frame clips......a saddle, Bluemels Lightweight mudguards and a set of pedals (3 of which at least match).

3x Phillips Apollo? and a Brampton racing pedal.

Tried cleaning up a cantilever brake.....stripped down and left to soak in Oxalic Acid to strip the rust. Then a quick polish using a light wire wheel. Bit of an improvement......can read the text now!

Looking forward to having a go at Nickel plating these bits to protect them......

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:39 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Wow! That’s a huge improvement right there.

Jamie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:35 am 
Retro Guru

I’ll have to check in the shed. I’ve got a mismatched pair of cage pedals like those. Wonder if one of mine will make a pair...

Edit: just checked. Must have binned them unfortunately.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:58 pm 
Retro Guru

Jamiedyer wrote:
Wow! That’s a huge improvement right there.

Jamie

I was a little worried that the corrosion was severe enough to compromise the function/strength of the parts.....and also wanted the engraved lettering to have survived too. They've been painted silver at some point in the past which I think has helped to preserve them. Super happy with that result as a first pass clean. 3 more to go.....and then the cables! Lots to learn where they're involved.....

Jonny69 wrote:
I’ll have to check in the shed. I’ve got a mismatched pair of cage pedals like those. Wonder if one of mine will make a pair...

Edit: just checked. Must have binned them unfortunately.

No probs, thanks for looking. I should be able to get a matching pedal for the 3 that I have - I think they were quite common Phillips pedals. The odd one I have is a pre-war Brampton pedal.....will be lucky to find a match for that I'm guessing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:04 am 
Retro Guru

Been playing with Nickel plating recently.....seen a few vids online suggesting that home-brew plating is actually a viable process that can yield some good results. The most annoying thing for me when doing a resto is all those little fixings or brackets or plates that once cleaned up are then prone to corrosion without expensive plating processes. The idea that a plating process that can be done at home on the table top was one that I had to investigate.

Vinegar and salt as a base for the electolyte - Nickel blocks and a 5v 1A phone charger for the power supply. Hydrochloric acid as a cleanser to fully remove any corrosion prior to plating. Oh......and a sandwich tub from Wilko.

Had a play over the weekend......starting with creating the electrolyte. Dissolved a couple of tablespoons of salt into the vinegar and then dangled 2x blocks of Nickel into the solution - connecting one to negative and one to positive. The negative block "fizzes" as it releases hydrogen as it attracts Nickel ions from the positive block. After 5hrs I had a Nickel electrolyte......green in colour.

I found the key to getting good results is super cleanliness - no corrosion or oil or fingerprints are allowed.....a dip in hydrochloric acid removing the last bit of corrosion after a buzz on the wire wheel worked a treat.

20 mins attached to the negative connection floating in the electrolyte is enough for a first plate. I found that taking out, polish, clean and then re-plate for another 20 mins resulted in a good finish.

Time consuming and a bit fiddly but ultimately very satisfying.

Before/after:

Attacked one of the levers too.....

Most of the parts on these brakes are suffering with corrosion pitting so unless i go to the effort of polishing out those pits (and risk losing etching detail) these parts will always have a patinated look......but clean and shiny.

Which I quite like. The ultimate test will be to see how protected they are from further corrosion.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:18 am 
Retro Guru

That looks very satisfying and a great result.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:03 am 
BoTM | rBoTM | rider
BoTM | rBoTM | rider

Excellent, what ratio of salt to vinegar do you need?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:34 am 
Retro Guru

Your brake levers are interesting. I have a single one of those and I’m sure it’s got a curve in it, so it points a really long way forwards on drop bars. Yours look like they’ve been straightened out to bring them back a bit. Just be careful with them because they’re not the best quality alloy and yours look like they’ve got some fractures in the front face.

Need to check now. I can feel another trip to the shed coming on...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next