1939 Claud Butler Ultra Shortbase Tandem

sherlylock

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
A couple of months ago I spotted an advert for a tired looking Claud Butler tandem for a reasonable price. Sorely tempted I managed to talk myself out of it and it sold really quickly. Fast forward to Friday night, perusing the fb adverts and the very same bike turned up, this time on the south coast. Couldn't resist this time......I'd lost it once before! Contacted the bloke, it was still available so I drove down on Saturday to collect.

It's proper quirky. The tucked up rear wheel is quite a novel arrangement - requiring a cast bottom bracket that has a cutaway chainstay to allow the rear wheel and the stoker cranks to overlap.....and obviously the stoker seatpost is curved to match the rear wheel.

Frame is completely plated with chrome fork crown and ends and chrome rear dropouts. I assume the frame is Nickel plate as it's a different colour to the bright chrome? Its certainly got a slightly yellowy tint to it. No sign of old decals or paint so not sure what finish this would have had? Did Claud paint over Nickel to create a flamboyant paintjob or was this just left as a plated finish? Who knows.

Missing its Resilion A cantilever brakes/saddles/mudguards/levers it still has its hybrid geartrain - 6spd mix of 3spd Sturmey Archer AW8 and 2spd Cyclo derailleur. Williams cranks (stamped AB for 1939), Airlite large flange front hub and Dunlop EA Tandem rims.

Proper cool IMO.

This is going to be my winter project once I've finished my Raleigh Gran Sport with the intention of taking it out in the Spring when the weather gets warmer. Hopefully with my dad on the back.....

In chatting to my folks my mum mentioned that my grandparents had a tandem in the 30s when they were courting and they used to cycle to Felixstowe from Occold in Suffolk. I guess before cars this is how couples managed to get away for a day.......

Some pics:

LVx5ifRh.jpg

gRroojxh.jpg

zSvDn4dh.jpg

SM6YsTGh.jpg

VFSs2TTh.jpg

BW9tDDbh.jpg

LLOcK0jh.jpg

0MOzUv7h.jpg

y8eD1qIh.jpg

P6w0g05h.jpg

sherlylock":wmeo4f43 said:
Did Claud paint over Nickel to create a flamboyant paintjob?

Yup.... exactly that. Great find, looking forward to the strip down. ;)

Are you going to fit some 200mm forks, 1x12 and shout 'SENDING IT!!!' at the top of every steep descent whilst sniggering at a Go Pro?

No?

Good.

Our local bus driver brought his family up on his Bob Jackson tandem during the 70's as they couldnt afford a car. They brought into the shop about 10 years ago for a service and were still touring as a couple into their late 60's

It looks to be a good condition solid project and is waiting for its next life on the roads

IJohnson":vebn9kw2 said:
sherlylock":vebn9kw2 said:
Proper cool IMO.

You're not wrong!

That is ice cold!! :cool:

Oh yeah!

Peachy!":vebn9kw2 said:
sherlylock":vebn9kw2 said:
Did Claud paint over Nickel to create a flamboyant paintjob?

Yup.... exactly that. Great find, looking forward to the strip down. ;)

Stripped it to bare frame last night - no dramas so far. Not sure where to go with the frame yet. Getting the old plating stripped and re-chromed I'm guessing will require a re-mortgage to pay for it.......will make some enquiries though to find out how scary that price may be. 'tis a big old lump......

dan73uk":vebn9kw2 said:
This is lovely, Looking forward to more.

Its a lovely old thing. Have already sourced some of the missing bits (a donor tandem with the correct brakes)......

chickendrumsticks":vebn9kw2 said:
Fab! Great to see another veteran take to the stage.

"Retrobike"...........or more like "Vintagebike"?

Retro Spud":vebn9kw2 said:
I like that - nice project I’ll be following closely

Will update as and when I make progress, thanks for following! :)

legrandefromage":vebn9kw2 said:
Are you going to fit some 200mm forks, 1x12 and shout 'SENDING IT!!!' at the top of every steep descent whilst sniggering at a Go Pro?

No?

Good.

Our local bus driver brought his family up on his Bob Jackson tandem during the 70's as they couldnt afford a car. They brought into the shop about 10 years ago for a service and were still touring as a couple into their late 60's

It looks to be a good condition solid project and is waiting for its next life on the roads

Ha! Nah deserves to be as period correct as I can get it!

Nob":vebn9kw2 said:
Lotta work in that by the looks of it :)

Love a challenge! I agree.....lots to do. The long Winter nights will fly by.........

Looking great as it is and what a great find, the second time.
Look forward to seeing you build it up and get it back out on the roads.
Is that your grandparents in the photos above? Very cool.

Jamie

Back