Ex team Benotto 3000 - help required please

Retro Dan

Devout Dirtbag
Hi Guys,
Picked up another ex team frame the other day, this time a Benotto 3000 and I need some help with the details. As I`m aware, Benotto 3000`s were made by a Benotto employee based at the De Rosa factory, though Ugo De Rosa himself made the team bikes - regular 3000`s have the Cinelli BB, Ugo`s had Sandcast De Rosa BB`s and lugs. Paint looks original but very thin.

Checking the De Rosa chart this one dates from around the late `70`s (4 holed with heart BB), `76-`79 lugs, earlier type chrome Benotto forks.

Bottom bracked has no serial number, just "57C" - looks like the size, and "MAZ" - would be the rider, though whether thats initials or abbrevaitation I`m not sure.

Can anyone help indentify the team or rider (anyone versed in Italian could take an educated guess at "MAZ")? Also, any idea why the different head tube badge sticker??

Plan will be to bare metal it to check for cracks/corrosion, then repaint in classic Champagne and built of with super record.

Thanks, Dan.

benotto-1.JPG

benotto-2.JPG

benotto-3.JPG

benotto-4.JPG

benotto-5.JPG

benotto-6.JPG

Re:

There was a rider called Leonardo Mazzantini who rode for Sanson in 1980, but Sanson were using Moser frames by then. I hear that the early Moser frames were also built by Ugo de Rosa. I think the last year Sanson were on Benotto branded bikes was 1978? but Mazzantini wasn't riding for them in '78. Might be a connection there somewhere.. probably not..

Re:

"There was a rider called Leonardo Mazzantini who rode for Sanson in 1980, but Sanson were using Moser frames by then. I hear that the early Moser frames were also built by Ugo de Rosa. I think the last year Sanson were on Benotto branded bikes was 1978? but Mazzantini wasn't riding for them in '78. Might be a connection there somewhere.. probably not.."

Good call - Mazzantini rode Olmo`s before he joined Sanson so no chance there, your correct, `78 was the last year Sanson rode Benotto`s and this frame has the distinctive 3000 style chainstay - anyone know anymore about he early Moser frames being built by Ugo De Rosa - would make sense that he just carried on making the same bike type for Sanson/Moser for a year or two (I have an ex Team Once TT bike rebranded at BH Liberty Seguros when they changed to BH Bikes as they didn`t do a TT bike and just re-sprayed the old Once frames, so it definatly happens....)

If it is `80 Sanson, do a restore it as Moser or Benotto... probably Benotto as they do look rather cool!

Might try an email to De Rosa bikes - never know, they might be able to shed some light.

Thanks, Dan.

Re:

The braze on front mech. would be premature for the late '70s or even the early '80s, so if the frame is that old it's been modified and re-finished since.

Re:

Have emailed Derosa - not sure if they will have anything but will post up what I hear back.

The braze on front mech is an anominally - I note that the cable guides are routed under the BB rather than over in brazed guides as you would see on a regular 3000 - might be able to figure out more when I strip the paint off and check if for add onns/removals.

Thanks, Dan.

Re:

I guess there's a possibility that this could be- or could have become- Mazzantini's spare/training bike for the post-Sanson Famcucine team? It looks about his size. Pure speculation..

Re:

"I guess there's a possibility that this could be- or could have become- Mazzantini's spare/training bike for the post-Sanson Famcucine team? It looks about his size. Pure speculation.."

Doubtfull, Famucine still had Moser riding with them while he was with them - Moser bikes all the time, Dan.

Re:

Heard back from DeRosa - they confirm its a genuine frame made by Ugo but have no records or details, darn...

Back