Unusual Dave Hinde - Columbus Foco and Dura Ace

velocipede

Senior Retro Guru
Just picked this up yesterday - images are as per when it arrived - I've already been fettling with it so has been recabled with all black outers, stainless cages and has had Deda Superleggera 35 bars and stem added, as well as a different saddle.....pics as it looks now will follow eventually!

Absolutely lovely nick - the DA7700 groupset is as new!

Unusual build with Dura Ace direct mount brakes - they are a much later addition so I'd love to know what the original brakes were on it ! Anyway, I know Dave and his shop isn't far from me so post lockdown I'll go and have a chat with him about it!

It's unbelievably light - very nice indeed

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 1,077
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 1,077
@legrandefromage - yes, very! And really unusual - I've sent a note to Dave to ask him if he remembers why the owner wanted this type of fitting as you can neither fit cantis or calipers, you'd need to fit U-brakes at the time (obvs those Dura Ace brakes are really new) - seems an odd choice - but to be fair it's why I bought it as I thought it was a bit quirky!!

It would probably cost almost as much to replace them with 7700

I had something similar where the previous owners' son had fitted absurdly expensive Dia Compe over the original (and more effective!)

Mind you, I got a good amount of the purchase price back by selling the boutique bits

If its a carbon post, just make sure its got the right stuff in there as any oil based liquid may make the post expand

Problem is @legrandefromage that if I decided to change the brakes, the bosses are in the way of caliper brakes & the clearances are too big, possibly even for long drop calipers so the only option would be to have the bosses moved to accommodate "normal" canti's - the net effect would be the need for a respray too!

So I could sell the brakes for £200 but would have to spend way more on the mods - I would if it needed a respray but to be honest the paint is almost as good as the day it was built so I'm not going to do it - I'll stick with the 9010's for now -

One issue though is whoever fitted the brakes didn't use the inline adjuster recommended for them - so there's no quick release (have to let the tyres down to get the wheels out) - and no fine tuning (have to manually adjust the cable in order to set up brake travel).

Suitable adjusters are on the way - went for the proper QR Shimano ones which are pretty expensive too but no point compromising!

Upgrade to ee

cane_creek_eebrake_el_diablo_red_1524819204_84c2304a.jpg

velocipede":2v4b6mfz said:
@Nob - eek, I thought the Shimano ones were expensive!!

And these don't even come with brake blocks!!!

Thought you’d like it lol but they are incredibly good at the job of stopping & in many eyes look cool

Re:

I was watching this. Very tasty - just a bit large for me.

You could have run the Paul racer brakes - maybe a bit classier?

Back