MASI Modern - Retro CX / Gravel - Confused Build.

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Just finished re-building this. I bought the bike new back in 2012 when the whole gravel thing hadn't really
took off properly. It got stripped immediately after purchase and upgraded, and now it's downgraded
with the intention to be a care free multi-purpose thrash bike.

It's a MASI CX which was also aimed at light touring. In a way the confusion starts right there since
it's from MASI USA and practically doesn't really have much to do with the well known vintage MASI
from Italy today. This describes the origins better: https://masibikes.com/pages/timeline .

MASI USA did not have the rights to sell bikes in Europe due to a trademark dispute with MASSI
bikes from Spain so they are not that common place this side of the pond.

The hubs, brakes, cranks, pedals and front derailleur are all MTB Shimano LX from the mid 90s. Rear derailleur
is an old Shimano 105 RD-5501 which matches the LX look very well. New Sunrace cassette and chain.

Shimano Sora 2x9 STIs ST-3500 which originally had black levers but I pulled them to bits and transplanted
some beat-up Tiagra silver / grey lever arms from a 10sp set. DEDA bars and stem, topped with a mid 90s
Rolls Ti saddle.

Tyres are Kenda Small Block Eight - which apparently John Tomac had a hand in designing them.

Overall, it now looks very retro, but not like a retro road bike :cool:

Attachments

• Masi_rb1.jpg
    Masi_rb1.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 2,054
  • Masi_rb2.jpg
    Masi_rb2.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 2,057
  • Masi_rb3.jpg
    Masi_rb3.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 2,051
  • Masi_rb4.jpg
    Masi_rb4.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 2,053
  • Masi_rb5.jpg
    Masi_rb5.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 2,051
  • Masi_rb6.jpg
    Masi_rb6.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 2,053
Re:

Very nice. The restrained colour scheme should stay looking good long after my lairy retro gravel bike gets tatty. Dare not take mine out yet.

Rather happy how this is performing. Think I've got it all right and dialed in as I wanted.

Into the 3rd week of Spanish lockdown, and at the risk of being slapped a 600 Euro fine, the MASI is taking me
right up in the mountains through olive groves and citrus fruit service roads - some paved and some gravel.

It's calm and desolate at the best of times, but now it is eerily quite. Ironically as cyclists we like to have the road to
ourselves, but at least for me there is a strong mind game going on that one is doing something one shouldn't - even though I know full well I will not be in contact with anyone. Local Police are rightly taking the situation very seriously with controls even at small villages so I'm getting more and more careful about route planning.

Stay safe, stay sane where ever you are ;)

Attachments

• Lockdown_Grind1.jpg
    Lockdown_Grind1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,514
Re:

I'm liking that a lot!

Enjoy the solitude and stay healthy.

Here in Ireland we're restricted to within 2km of home for exercise purposes so unless I ride in circles around the houses with the kids I'm pretty much goosed for cycling. I envy you those peaceful mountain tracks. :D

Re:

Yeah, lockdown is lockdown and it's tightening up something chronic now.

Definitely feel I'm pushing my luck.

Thanks chaps for the positive comments about the black stealth house arrest curfew radar dodger.

Here's to reducing the carbon footprint!

This thread will morph into a little ride journal during these strange times while I'm
"trapped" in Spain. I'm only about 1500 Km from home, but getting back to France
looks like it will not happen anytime soon. Both countries lockdowns are severe.

I felt really positive to take a chance and go out for ride, and the bike felt great from the word go.

The idea was to go fairly high in the mountains beyond the olive grove line, the tree line and get
on a service rode to a mobile telephone mast. However, 10mins into the new planned route it went
tits up; my now old Garmin Etrex 30 "map zoom out" button broke and was stuck on a 5 meter scale
which was only useful if you were like a really small lost insect or something. :evil:

Decided to carry on then got lost and found myself in the middle of a private estate
with an orange picking operation going on. :facepalm: Bailed out and ran the gauntlet on
some main roads to join more familiar territory on the other side of the valley.

Attachments

• Lockdown_Grind2.jpg
    Lockdown_Grind2.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,344
  • Lockdown_Grind3.jpg
    Lockdown_Grind3.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 1,343
foz":2l77qp9q said:
Nice looking bike :)

Where in Spain are you stuck?

Thanks. Half way between Alicante and Valencia, about 30kms inland of Calpe. It's a popular area in winter for pro-teams to train. Normally plenty of international bike cafes are open locally on the well worn road circuits.

I'm no tarmac basher, and one way or another I've been coming here every year or three for the past 30 years. I'm more attracted to get in the deep mountains away from the peletons and organised groups. Past visits are serving me well to dodge most towns and villages in these strange times where your average carbon junky wouldn't even think there is a labyrinth of tracks and unclassified roads. MTBs are a bit overkill unless rock garden stretches is your technical thing, hence the MASI is doing a fine happy medium with some route planning.

First time I've been here so long, and admittedly I could think of far worse places to be stuck.

Back