1970 Allin

flash

Retrobike Rider
I recently inherited my Uncle John's Allin. He had it custom built in 1970 and it has some really nice touches (e.g. Quick release mudguards, etc). It was originally fixed gear but he added a SA 4 gear rear hub as his health deteriorated. I'm going to ride it as is for a while but need to raise the gearing however I am tempted to build up a fixed wheel. One challenge is it's fitted with 27 x 1" tyres and there is no clearance at the rear for a wider tyre. I've removed the gigantic saddle bag and bag support as well as the mudguards, as this'll be my Sunday best bike.

flash":15j5d472 said:
I recently inherited my Uncle John's Allin. He had it custom built in 1970 and it has some really nice touches (e.g. Quick release mudguards, etc). It was originally fixed gear but he added a SA 4 gear rear hub as his health deteriorated. I'm going to ride it as is for a while but need to raise the gearing however I am tempted to build up a fixed wheel. One challenge is it's fitted with 27 x 1" tyres and there is no clearance at the rear for a wider tyre. I've removed the gigantic saddle bag and bag support as well as the mudguards, as this'll be my Sunday best bike.

We have exchanged a few pms about this machine - very nice and unusual to see a genuine pre 1981 Allin. You could try 700c wheels,might give you some additional tyre clearance.

Rk.

I do have a pair of age appropriate-ish 28h Campagnolo hubbed wheels but the 27" wheels look so right.....

Re:

Great looking machine: curved seat tube is class. Looks pretty short wheelbase - if you have some toe overlap on the front wheel removing the mudguards will be a good thing ;)

Ta, Jingle Jangle. I'm back from doing Coast to Coast so hopefully I'll get a few better pics over the weekend

Back