Gitane Super Olympic - Equipe Gitane Campagnolo 1976

gridno27

rBotM Winner
refer to a project for a replica of an old steelmade Probike of Equipe Gitane-Campagnolo of 1975/76

I intent to build up this beautiful Gitane Super Olympic of 1974/75, which saw (with great truth) the light of day in the "Ateliér de B. Carré"
with the 1st Gen of Campagnolo's SUPER RECORD

.. but my question - Which rims will be the correct ones. I cannot find a timeline of MAVIC rims but I think in this period the MAVIC SSC in grey or silver ( soory but - I don't know which are the first) are the first choise of the Pro-rider. A further possibility are the MAVIC Argent rims

Attachments

• IMG_1143_25pct.jpg
    IMG_1143_25pct.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 1,159
  • IMG_1144_25pct.jpg
    IMG_1144_25pct.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 1,156
  • IMG_1145_25pct.jpg
    IMG_1145_25pct.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 1,157
Re:

There is a pretty good time line at Velobase. Search for velobase "MAVIC RIMS". Although there are still many, many to choose from...

Oh yes thanks there's a lot - but the info about exact using period isn't really usefull within velobase .In the meantime I found at www. velo-retro.com good info about MAVIC rims timelimeesp. the High-End SSC versions ...
http://www.velo-retro.com/mtline.html

here a take out of the period from introduction of Bleu SSC in 1972 upto comercializing Argent 12 SSC in 1977

Introduction of the distinctive Blue anodized "Bleu SSC" tubular rims for the 1972 European racing season, made available only to riders in the peloton.

Wheels become Mavic's main concern, inspired by the first aerodynamic studies. In 1973, the Study Bureau examines a glass-fiber lenticular wheel. This is the first Mavic-signed wheel. Although track and road tested it is against the rules and is never used in a race. Aerodynamics however is in the air and Mavic continues its research.

At races, Mavic makes available to all competitors a "neutral and free" assistance. Mavic's two key ideas are: a well-equipped car in front of the main body of riders to give immediate breakdown assistance to the leaders, and a complete radio liaison service between the vehicles (organizers, doctors, sports managers, journalists, etc.). The first Mavic assistance race was Paris-Nice. It was when he lent his car at the last minute to a Sports Manager whose vehicle had broken down during the Criterium du Dauphine Libere in 1972 that Bruno Gormand had the idea of making available a completely innovative "neutral assistance" better suited to both racers and organizers.

A new logo - a yellow diamond inside a red rectangle with rounded corners.

The birth of the grey SSC Paris-Roubaix (SSC Grey) hard-anodized rim. The first time that this treatment has been used on bicycle rims; it would be seen later that no high-end bike would be seriously considered that did not offer this type of rim. As of this point made available only for professional use.

The Module E clincher rim. The first rim with double 'hook' bridge to seat a high-pressure tire developed by Michelin: the Elan. With this patented concept, Mavic started developing a new generation of rims for tires that rapidly benefited from all of Mavic's technological innovations. In the cycle-racing world the use of tubular tires gradually declines in favor of tires. Mavic commercializes their original "Bleu SSC" rims, now making them generally available for purchase by the public at large. Mavic introduces their Clear anodized and Silver hued "Argent 12 SSC" tubular rims. As with their "Bleu SSC" and "Grise SSC" predecessors, these "new" version of SSC rims were initially made available only for select use by professional riders.

Mavic commercializes their Silver "Argent 12 SSC" tubular rims, thereby offering same for sale to the general public.

... the period for the project is 1975-1976 - so refer to the a.m. information I will have the choice between high-End MAVIC rims as follows

- Bleu SSC ( available from 1972 with old Logo and change in 1974 to Red Label for Pro Teams only - in 1975 commercialized for the public)
- Grise SSC (available from 1975 for Pro Teams, commercialized in 1977)
- Argent 12 SSC (same availibility as Grise SSC)

additional the famous popular GP4 Red Label ??? ( but I not really known when first time available for Pro-Riders)

Re:

Good grief! Obviously you did not have access to this super info when you asked the question - or did you? It seems to provide the answer you are looking for, for your rebuild. A super project too, and good luck with it.

Velobase has been my bible for dating and matching kit over the years. Now it appears to be but a small chapter in a much larger book. Thanks and well researched!

Sorry - I found this info not before today, because I didn't found the right questions and normally "my bike period" more end of 80s and 90s.
I am a great fan of first French lightweight period with bonded carbon frame sets like TVT, LOOK and others

Re:

I'm wondering if half chrome forks and stays would have been evident on '75/'76 season team bikes? I suspect not. The only bikes with half chrome forks and stays in the '75'76 peloton that I can think of are Peugeots. It'd be a shame to lose the chrome now though. Presumably it's been on there for forty five years..

Re:

yes - you are right - The teambike of Groupe Sportif Gitane 1975/76 had a frameset made of full Reynolds 531 with Campagnolo fallouts.
By the way Team frame sets ate always with Campagnolo fallouts - never they used Huret version. And the Probike never had chrome on
the front and the rear for saving weight

here look at Lucian van Impe in 1976 during Tour de France

sorry - but my intentin is to build up my Huret build Gitane Super Olympic with TechSpec most similar to this Probike

edit … here the wheels looks like MAVIC SSC grey or GP4 Red Label

Attachments

• panoramic-o1tdf30032012-166.jpg
    panoramic-o1tdf30032012-166.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 993
Referring to a number of French books on the TdeF, there's evidence of chrome on tour bicycles (Anquetil's Gitane - fork crown), Merckx's Molteni branded machines (full fork), and later bicycles in the 80s and 90s.

Taking a look at Gitane's from Anquetil to the Renault squad there's not much evidence of any chrome, however there are a few different paint shades: two of blue and one nearly purple.

Rk.

roadking":qqbpq1bu said:
there are a few different paint shades: two of blue and one nearly purple.Rk.

If you're looking at books or magazines, that could be as a result of the colour rendition during printing. Even slides and colour prints can be a bit 'off'. However, there may be no difficulty in discerning variations in shade - but what those variations actually are is the problem.

For example, try looking at old colour photos of railways and the colours of engines, coaches etc. Much variation from the 'accepted' colours is apparent and even a model painted in the actual paint used on the real thing looks totally wrong!

Old Ned":1czh0yk3 said:
roadking":1czh0yk3 said:
there are a few different paint shades: two of blue and one nearly purple.Rk.

If you're looking at books or magazines, that could be as a result of the colour rendition during printing. Even slides and colour prints can be a bit 'off'. However, there may be no difficulty in discerning variations in shade - but what those variations actually are is the problem.

For example, try looking at old colour photos of railways and the colours of engines, coaches etc. Much variation from the 'accepted' colours is apparent and even a model painted in the actual paint used on the real thing looks totally wrong!

For example if you look at Hinault's 1978 Gitane it has a very different livery from his Gitane of 1981, likewise Fignon's Gitane of 1983 & 1984 (livery includes paint colour/shade, logo colour, bar tape, cable colour).

After the demise of Renault, Gitane livery changed quite radically.

If one were cloning a team bicycle, what year would you choose ?
Rk.

Back