late 90's Merlin Metalworks build.

onegoodbike

Merlin Fan
Feedback
View
........so for a while I've had a wanted ad running here and a regularly checked saved search on eBay, hoping to bump into a Merlin, Moots or similar piece of exotic American Ti in my size.

The consequence of this is that I'm now the proud owner of this beauty.

It's a Merlin 'Road' frame dating from mid 98 (using the mombat merlin frame number timeline) and despite being 21 years old is in great nick.

The plan is for an early spring retro-mod(ish) build ready for the nice weather (fingers crossed :D ). I've got a smattering of carbon parts and a good condition 10 speed Dura Ace groupset, some bits from my Dyna-Tech retro-mod build, some not.

Interestingly (to me at least!) the actual frame weight of 2.9lbs is lighter than the weight stated for the 'Road' in the 97 and 99 catalogues (archived here) of 3.2lbs, it sits between that and stated weight of the 'Extralight' at 2.7lbs.

Not quite sure why this should be, but if you have any ideas feel free to enlighten me. Also if anyone has noticed the same weight discrepancy with their own Merlin frame I'd be interested to hear about it here.

Matt

Attachments

• Merlin Road frame 4.jpg
    Merlin Road frame 4.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,210
  • Merlin Road frame 3.jpg
    Merlin Road frame 3.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,211
  • Merlin Road frame 2.jpg
    Merlin Road frame 2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,210
  • Merlin Road frame 1.jpg
    Merlin Road frame 1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,210
Re:

I got a spare hour or two at the weekend so the build has started....... :) .

Attachments

• build begins 2.jpg
    build begins 2.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,033
  • build begins 1.jpg
    build begins 1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,033
Re:

I got a couple of free hours in the spring sunshine this morning to add some components and cables, before settling down with a cuppa to watch Milan-San Remo. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday!.

Matt

Attachments

• components and cables 3.jpg
    components and cables 3.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 829
  • components and cables 2.jpg
    components and cables 2.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 829
  • components and cables 1.jpg
    components and cables 1.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 829
Re:

Hi bjarnetv,

yes it is, it's an FC-7800-C. I'm a big fan of carbon chainsets and became aware of the existence of these short-lived Shimano offerings last year, then it was just a case of waiting for one to appear that I could afford.

It turns out that they were designed to be compatible with the 7900 groupset, which is nice.

Matt

Re:

.......and it's finished!, just in time for the spring weather to take a turn for the worse :facepalm: . Seriously though, I'm really pleased with how it has come together, went for a quick shakedown spin round the village yesterday afternoon and it feels light and taut, roll on the sunshine :D .

Here's a few pics before the addition of a pump, garmin mount, saddlebag and lights. As shown it weighs in at a sprightly 17lbs, so any problems going uphill will be entirely the fault of the rider!.

I'll be adding the spec shortly.

Matt

Attachments

• finished pic 3.jpg
    finished pic 3.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 625
  • finished pic 2.jpg
    finished pic 2.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 625
  • finished pic 1.jpg
    finished pic 1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 624
Great job - light components, light wheels, comfy frame... i bet it rides as good as it looks!

And i know the feeling of completing a bike and not being able to take it out for a proper spin - i still havent been able to take my precious Daccordi out on a proper trip due to all the gravel and sand on the roads left over from the winter, and i am growing quite impatient.

Back