La Perle Project

markyp

Retro Guru
Project to resurrect a 1950's(?) La Perle cycle...a real barn fine (see the cobwebs!)
The aim is to get it back on the road with minimum cost.....and then see.

The farme is a bit rusty in places, but appears sound. I think it could do with a respray, but to get it right (correct colour and pinstriping, decals, etc) could be quite expensive and would then show up the worn condition of the components.

I'll try and update the thread as the (re)build progresses......

IMG-20180905-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20180905-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20180905-WA0001.jpg

hopefully will look similar to this....
https://redcdn.net/hpimg11/pics/691944vlo.jpg

Checking in to follow.

That looks like some odd red paint on it? Or is it some form of stain? And you'll need a steady hand to re produce those pin stripes.

Pulling up chair.

Love the pin stripes.

......and this is the rear axle, beyond repair.
Replacement ordered from SJ cycles last week, should be here tomorrow (with new bearings)
The bearing surfaces don't look too bad. Unfortunately, the hubs don't have 'prise off' bearing covers ( a la campag) to make inspection of the bearing surfaces easier....
(Before anyone comments, the axle was not fitted as shown in the photo!)

IMG-20190113-195844407.jpg

Just received the 26tpi axle ......and it doesn't fit. The cone/wingnuts will screw on so many threads and then no further. Aligning the the threads of the new and broken axles shows a very slight difference in tpi!!!
Need to research the history of french axle threads.......

A cheaper alternative would be to get a slim nut that does fit the new shaft and then cheat the wings by re-cutting their threads and using them as dressing...... but then, of course, you’ll always know....

Re:

Hi,
lovely bike, keep going it looks worth the effort. French threads are a law to them selves, they did become more mainstream from the late 50's onwards but before that it was regional thing as far as standards were concerned. So, where does this leave you, what are the bearings, I suspect an english size, in which case cant you simply get some new cones for your new shaft, and you could get your wing nuts tapped out to this 'english size' ( not really advisable especially with aluminium ones ) This is assuming they are very close on the TPI ( teeth per inch ) front and are smaller size wise, i.e shaft is 3/8 inch ( 9.5 mm ) old money and your wing nuts are for a 9mm shaft, or get new Wing nuts, which is easier. Just some thoughts. Terry

Re:

I think the old threads were 9mmx1, for which axles are available. I'm going to check with thread gauges or a micrometer. Rather not retap the wing nuts, the threads are a bit worn anyway. Bearings are 1/4". .

Back