bike I.D help

Rustman1

Dirt Disciple
hi,

recently acquired this frame, ignore the colour as the owner from new had it sprayed to help find it in TT's, it was black.

he seems to remember it being mid 80's. he assures me it is a Holdsworth frame.

what makes it unusual to what i can find in online catalogues is its internal top tube cable routing.

cant see the entire frame number but its 806__3

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_10ea.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_10ea.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 1,168
Cool thanks. So it’s defo more a mid/late 80’s. What is really like to know is the model, if anyone can help, thanks :)

I am sure there is one other frame in the database with through frame routing, juat can't find it now. Is there a full number for this avaliable now?

dwscrimshaw":14wnglwh said:
I am sure there is one other frame in the database with through frame routing, juat can't find it now. Is there a full number for this avaliable now?

Yes it sure is, 806683

Also just to add, something else unique I’ve not mentioned, it has an ‘eyelet’ to carry the rear mech cable along the bottom of the chain stay

Thanks for the full number.

Yes the eyelet under the stays started in the 80's along with BB cable guides under the shell in plastic guides, some were metal. You can see this coming in at the end of the 6 digit numbers the preceded these Marlborough/Falcon numbers.

The guides are plastic on here but they could have been changed, we shall never know! Would love to know the model and year if you have any inkling.

Yes that's a good question. The frame should be drilled to take the plastic guide which would be bolted or held in with plastic removable rivet.

The frame looks very much like a 531C frame and almost identical to my 89 Raleigh Roadace same lugs, fork crown and tail-tail pump peg on the head tube, two bottle cage mounts, recessed brake nuts. Assuming the correct Reynolds decal went back on that would make it post 1989 competition frame, which is good, see H Lloyd decal lists. It seems to have the same number style as other I have in the database for around that time and if you look at the history site this would put it from the Falcon ownership era. Marlborough bikes had the pre 89 decal. The only black bike listed is the Pro from that time, but I don't thing it is as we have several black pro's in the database and they don't look the same, no pump lug for a start.

I wouldn't be put off by the through tube cable route as I think that would be an option that could be built in to the frame if hand built in a specials shop as some big companies did. There is very little info on the Falcon Holdsworths so all I can suggest is you look at the examples in the database and the models listed on the history site. Then google them and see what comes up, look carefully at the lugs and other frame feature. Problem is all the 531C frames I have seen look very similar across several companies. That said no reason to suspect it is not a Holdsworth, but I think a very late one.

Hope this helps, but you will need to do some more leg work on line to confirm. My guess is a Falcon Holdsworth.

http://www.nkilgariff.com/
https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com/co ... ompetition
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99314009@ ... 9078367850

Just wracking my brains for a Falcon with internal cable routing on a frame like that and gave drawn a blank....

Back