2007 Trek 1500 SLR (Team Discovery Channel)

1500 SLR

Retro Newbie
So I thought that I might introduce myself. Long story short, I've been riding bikes for a fair while now to develop an interest in something a bit different. I have a love/hate relationship with modern bikes and decided a long time ago that a lot of people end up spending too much money on bikes. I find people who spend £5000+ on a bike with no purpose to be people who enjoy an unnatural largesse towards themselves. I've also become more and more of a retro grouch over the years. Given I'm in my mid 30s now, it wont be long until I have a walking stick anyway. I digress.. How did I get here? Dunno anymore...

Most recently, I had an idea I wanted to start spending money on a throw back bike. I had a few things in mind including a 1998 Bianchi Mega Pro XL, or a 1998 Once TCR. Unfortunately I had a hard time finding any of these bikes in good condition in a 54. For a time I even looked at a CAAD5 but unfortunately it had, had a hard life and suffered some galvanic corrosion. I didn't really want a carbon bike of that vintage which tended to rule out Treks such as 5200s and 5500s without spending some time double checking that there was nothing suspect in a frame that old liable to killing me.

I came across a low mileage Trek 1500 SLR it had around 6000miles from the original owner in 2007. An older gentlemen bought it and kind of shelved it after riding it once in a triathlon. 2007 was the year Alberto Contador won the Tour De France and the only standing Team Discovery Channel record.

It came to me looking a bit like this:

40923967441_78a71bf794_h.jpg

My brother is a full time bike mechanic so we set about doing some work on it which kind of led to this point where we stripped it and decided to start drilling some holes in the frame.

40583619154_0e5a8cd79a_h.jpg

Which led to the installation of 6770 DI2 derailleurs

39303482840_675e7d5c65_h.jpg

41106476232_d1faa4aef1_h.jpg

And then this happened where we decided to drill out the bottom bracket.

41254400612_826e948824_h.jpg

41077947482_db0a0d65fc_h.jpg

And we installed an internal seat post battery.

27428307568_9c97f87c4b_z.jpg

Then hung it up on the wall when it still had a 6600 groupset.

39492637050_f83025e426_z.jpg

Which kinda led to this for a few months.

29715816947_3907f287fc_h.jpg

Then I got bored of the stem being the wrong colour and shape. I also wanted a 7800 11-28 cassette and 7800 chain rings, at the same time I fitted a Bontrager RXL stem which at this point has led to this.

30770571307_7d45f16f8d_h.jpg

Its been a long ride but I'm not quite done yet. Its in need of a more suitable seat and the set back seat post will likely have to go also. 2007 was part of a time period where they hadn't quite figured everything out yet. I'm also yet to decide how heavy I want to go into this and whether I want to bother with trying to shave off the cable stops at this point.

Nob":2ci5wpia said:
Deeper section wheels would look better I think

Probably, this bike is a bit retro before current times. The seat is far too round, and people have since gotten used to the fact that you can ride a road bike without a set back seat post. It's a pretty trick ride by now but its still a work in progress.

A set of more modern clinchers would go a long way to further improving the look of it also. You're right and its on the list eventually.

The one thing I've been doing with this bike is trying to keep it true to form. The Discovery channel team used Bontrager parts in what is way back when by now, so I'll have to wait and see what comes up. It's a bit like a car you can't just go and stick a McLaren sticker on a car that is kitted out with Martini Racing livery so my parts bin for this bike has to be Shimano or Bontrager.

Well after putting it on the scales today its 8.8kg. Something less than 9kg is about the same as the best aluminum road bikes of 2007 such as a CAAD8. That's with the hefty DI2 derailleurs and Bontrager Select wheels.

Joe_Rides":29gr1j5s said:
Pretty lightweight to be fair!

Yeah, I could go a bit lighter as those wheels are pretty bomb proof but its more than light enough. I was holding my own the other day with a guy that was on a tempo of 22mph (38km/hr) for about 6miles (10km). Its a pretty quick bike now. It would be even quicker if I wasn't on it.

My brother works for a Specialized dealer so I'm getting a Toupe saddle to go on top of it, and will probably find a lighter seat post without a set back on it. I can probably shave another 100grams or so with that the rest is really things such as wheels and waiting for a set of period correct Bontrager Race Lite or Dura Ace wheels to turn up eventually.

I also want to get a set of Dura Ace 7800 pedals but finding a set that aren't scratched to all buggery is proving more challenging than what you would hope it to be.

So I've fitted a Toupe on this since.... I'm also looking at shedding a bit more weight and updating my seat post to a newer Bontrager Race Lite seat post, and changing to a straight rather than a set back seat post also. I'm still looking for a nice set of Dura Ace 7800 cranks and 7800 pedals also.

VERY NICE! INFORMATIVE TOO! THANK YOU!!!

Heres my new project, also a Trek 1500 SL from early 2000s. Its fitted with Dura Ace 9 speed 7700 drivetrain, shifters, Dura Ace 7403 Brakes, SPD pedals [ i think ], Xero Maravilosso clincher wheels. It is given by a good friend, for me to fix up and ride again [ ive been in hospital with foot ulcers, skin grafts, etc. and need to ride again] I intend to swap cables, clean all parts, overhaul BB, headset, and new stuff - bar tape, chain, tires/tubes, an maybe saddle. Later on if i am riding this more and often, will consider swapping wheels and even a repaint!

Attachments

• trek1500.jpg
    trek1500.jpg
    575.7 KB · Views: 4
Back