BSA Tour de France

Carlp

Dirt Disciple
Some folks may be interested in the this October 1976 that I saved from the tip. My neighbours widow gave it to me, he bought it from his mum's Littlewoods catalogue in '76/'77 and used it for work...then he got a motorbike..then a car and it was probably sitting in the garage ever since.

I decided to do it up as near to the catalogue state as possible.

A bit of a folly but I enjoyed doing it.

Attachments

• TDF smaller.JPG
    TDF smaller.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 3,547
  • Littlewoods Photo smaller.jpg
    Littlewoods Photo smaller.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 3,561
  • OLD BSA smaller.JPG
    OLD BSA smaller.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 3,546
That looks amazing. I really love the bright colours and blocky graphic design on BSAs from this period, and I briefly owned a Tour de France with the same awesome orange colour scheme as yours. I still really fancy owning a Javelin - all its takes is a beer and an available internet connection and i’ll Be shadowy looking for one on eBay. Love to see some more pictures.

Goldie":2umdfqbc said:
That looks amazing. I really love the bright colours and blocky graphic design on BSAs from this period, and I briefly owned a Tour de France with the same awesome orange colour scheme as yours. I still really fancy owning a Javelin - all its takes is a beer and an available internet connection and i’ll Be shadowy looking for one on eBay. Love to see some more pictures.

Thanks. It’s quite difficult to post photos on this site, I have to resize them all , if you’re interested there’s a whole thread here. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bsa-t ... e.239856/.

Nice, you've given me a bit of inspiration now. I've got a bit later metallic blue one in my todo bikes. Mine came completely original but being a little newer it has a few more alloy bits like a Raleigh/SR crank so when I do it I'll replace the rest of the steel components with alloy.

allenh":3d9y1xdb said:
Nice, you've given me a bit of inspiration now. I've got a bit later metallic blue one in my todo bikes. Mine came completely original but being a little newer it has a few more alloy bits like a Raleigh/SR crank so when I do it I'll replace the rest of the steel components with alloy.

I look forward to seeing it when you start.

Re:

I've just read through the build thread in one sitting with a brew on the go - really enjoyed it! Here's mine. I hadn't quite finished putting it back together when I took these pictures - there was still a broken spoke on one of the wheels, and the tyres were a bit explodey. But the paint had come up so well that I had to stop and take its picture.

45739446821_6ffbbba6a1_c.jpg

31867871808_0f241bba27_c.jpg

This was back in 2010. I spent a very happy couple of weeks riding to work on it.

Re: Re:

Goldie":5ityenh0 said:
I've just read through the build thread in one sitting with a brew on the go - really enjoyed it! Here's mine. I hadn't quite finished putting it back together when I took these pictures - there was still a broken spoke on one of the wheels, and the tyres were a bit explodey. But the paint had come up so well that I had to stop and take its picture.

45739446821_6ffbbba6a1_c.jpg

31867871808_0f241bba27_c.jpg

This was back in 2010. I spent a very happy couple of weeks riding to work on it.

Nice and shiny. What did you do with it?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Carlp":2pfb1pgq said:
allenh":2pfb1pgq said:

I look forward to seeing it when you start.

I doubt I'll get very far with mine until next year now and although this isn't mine its a picture of one the same colour and spec as mine. Its the right size for me and cost me £25 at a boot fair earlier in the year so was one of those I just can't leave it there purchases

I will strip mine down and give it a proper clean over the winter but ultimately the paint is too tired and chipped to save so it will get a respray and re sticker next year.

I've already unlaced the original wheels as the rims were not great and it currently has a set of period Weinmann alloys with small flange hubs to keep the bike in one bit. The original large flange hubs will get cleaned and polished over the winter and laced into some new alloy rims and the pedals, seat post and bars will ultimately get replaced with alloy ones. The rest will stay original but with a good clean and polish.

Attachments

• bsa tdf.jpg
    bsa tdf.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 3,398
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back