Carlton resurrection....

sherlylock

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
You know you have a problem when you start roping in your non-bike loving friends into your all encompassing hobby.

I spotted a karma ad for some large road bike frames from CanAmSteve a few weeks ago - and one of the frames was a sorry looking Carlton.

I've got a bit of a soft spot for old 70's Carltons so I had to have it. Unfortunately Steve lives 2 1/2hrs away.....but also only 20ish minutes from a friend of mine.

A flurry of messages two and fro saw Steve kindly agreeing to drop the frames over to my friends house who's been stashing them away for me until this weekend when we traveled over to visit.

I've done nothing other than strip off the odd bit of componentry left on it and removed the bottom bracket.

It's in a sorry state - needs a complete re-finish......there are some patches of rust on the chainstays but nothing terminal I don't think.

Anyway - I'm going to gather some nice bits for it and slowly work my way through it - hopefully ending up with a suitably sized road bike for next summer.

But.....what it is it? I think it's a Clubman model from 1977 based on a bit of internet research.....and the 1977 Carlton catalogue.

Looks like this was sold as a frameset only? Also not sure whether it was designed for 27" or 700c wheels. The catalogue page suggests it's designed for mudguard clearance and if I offer up short drop calipers to the frame with 700c wheels fitted the pads don't reach the rims.....so I'm guessing 27" wheels.

m585vvSl.jpg

2YbwgkAl.jpg

ZoFDutwl.jpg

N75dOfel.jpg

RUTElsBl.jpg

Paint options were Fire Red and Eau de Nil......and I'm really tempted to re-paint it the latter - and decals seem to be readily available too.

May be a bit of slow burner......but looking forward to getting this one together.

The Clubman had Nervex lugs and mudguard eyes, Yours might be a Competition finished in the then popular Fire Red. Undercoat in yellow with a red half see through lacquer.?

Midlife":3e7jsgvn said:
The Clubman had Nervex lugs and mudguard eyes, Yours might be a Competition finished in the then popular Fire Red. Undercoat in yellow with a red half see through lacquer.?

Yep you're right.....not a Clubman. Just looked in a bit more detail and the lugs are different to the Clubman.

Certainly looks like the Competition.....available in Lilac or Royal Carmine according to the catalogue. This certainly looks like Fire Red if the catalogue is anything to go by.

Serial number is WS7000281 (I think it's an S!) which suggests a Worksop built frame from Dec 77.....if I've researched that correctly.

Yep, 1977. :). Fire Red was someone's bright idea that first pitched up on the Grand Prix I think. In the shop all waxed up under the lights it looked good but didn't age very well. They painted quite a few frames in it, maybe they bought a big batch lol.

Midlife":3aiealny said:
Yep I had a red clubman when doing my apprenticeship 14-34 block on the rear & a 68T ring up front :) great ride in all weathers with ESGE silver mudguards..

Yellow undercoat and red lacquer you say?

Wonder how hard it'd be to recreate that.......?

*strokes beard in contemplation*

So.....bit of a frame degrease and clean and a rifle through the spares box to see what I could hang off this frame.

I wondered whether to go for a modern component build on this but now I've seen the frame wearing some 70's kit and large flange hubs I'm sold on the period look.

Suntour VX derailleurs, Suntour downtube shifters, Silstar cranks........but no suitable brake calipers or seat post yet.

h80Ddaul.jpg

I4e30Tql.jpg

B3oymlkl.jpg

XPFdA32l.jpg

After cleaning off the thick crud from the bottom bracket shell it's finally clear to see what colour fire red actually is!

5C9ERtYl.jpg

Nob":26m71mmn said:
Definitely needs a respray & new decals

Yes indeedy. Paint is truely knackered on this.....just not sure what colour to refinish it in. Could attempt the original fire red but I'm erring towards an orange at the mo.

Decals are on eBay for about £25 and they look original (and from a good source at least).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARLTON-Deca ... 1438.l2649

There are cheaper ones available but I'm dubious of the quality.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back