1981 Jack Taylor Marathon

Spokesmann

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
This bike has been a recent acquisition for me and is a bit of a departure from my usual Carlton and Sun made cycles. In truth I've wanted a JT for a long while, especially after seeing Jamie's Super Clubman thread a while ago.

The machine it self has been well used, but not abused. Paint is OK and still has all its original double box lining. I've been tinkering with this one for the last week. Everything was present but the whole machine needed a service, clean and some sympathetic enhancement. I've still got a few tweaks to do as well as a proper road test, but thought it would be good to get this thread going.

Specification:

1981 Jack Taylor Marathon Model frame no. 7841
22" lugless bronze welded (fillet brazed) frame. Double boxed lined with flam green, yellow and silver merged panels. Full DB 531 tubing throughout, inc fork blades. 27" Mavic MA40 wheels with DB stainless spokes, Shimano 600 sealed alloy hubs with Shimano QR skewers and levers. Schwalbe Marathon tyres. 12-speed derailleur gears with 26-14 rear cassette, Stronglight 48/36 chainset up front, Sakae BB. Sachs New Success rear mech (34 tooth capacity) with Suntour ARX front changer, Suntour Ratchet levers. Weinmann type 730 alloy sidepulls c/w MTB 70mm brake shoes with Weinmann alloy hood and red anodised levers. GB alloy stem and bars. Tange headset. Zefal toe clips/Red Christophe leather straps, Carradice Barley saddle bag, Weinmann alloy shorties and Brooks B5N leather saddle on alloy seat post.

PB046667_zpsjdvx5amj.jpg

PB046666_zpsu3stdijm.jpg

PB046662_zpsqmgmiusy.jpg

PB046654_zps8x13tjig.jpg

PB046643_zpszt6hftrx.jpg

PB046641_zpskykvf4by.jpg

PB046637_zpsyfemcx3w.jpg

PB046632_zpsbdahd0ud.jpg

PB046629_zps3gaef9dh.jpg

PB046609_zpstfem6atk.jpg

As bought:

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-28%20at%2008.40.17_zpskeqjgfgq.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-28%20at%2008.40.26_zpsa0ikzeas.png

Re:

Finally was able to get out on the Jack Taylor this morning, in between heavy showers!
Near perfect test ride... Just need to move the saddle a little bit further aft and a very, very minor tinkle from the front changer, this machine is just about there. Wide bars, very light frame and relaxed geometry (73/71 fore and aft) makes this a quick and easily manoeuvrable ride. Once in the big ring it really can shift, the new 730 brakes having a great spring action and the 70mm MTB blocks an assured stopping feel. Gears changed very crisply and the bottom gear of 36/24 is perfect for most conditions, although I've got a 28 bottom ring just in case. All in all a very enjoyable few miles just to make sure everything is OK. Hope to take it on a longer ride once we get some more settled, dry weather.

PB116703_zpswpwybkap.jpg

PB116709_zpstbjoimso.jpg

PB116722_zps1f3vnmjn.jpg

PB116736_zpsvkeiazvr.jpg

I was on the edge of buying this. I was even haggling with the price but decided against it. You're thread is making me question my judgements.

Lovely bike.

Truly stunning and you have done a great job of bringing it's 'wow' factor back.
That is a worthy addition to your beautiful fleet and I am glad you are liking the ride.
I correspond with a gentleman in Western Australia now and again and not sure from memory if he has the same model but it is the exact same paint job. He used to hang around the shop when he was younger and had 2 made for him when still in his teens.
This to me is a pretty special cycle and so I am glad your liking it so much.

Jamie

Jamiedyer":2e2a1hry said:
Truly stunning and you have done a great job of bringing it's 'wow' factor back.
That is a worthy edition to your beautiful fleet and I am glad you are liking the ride.
I correspond with a gentleman in Western Australia now and again and not sure from memory if he has the same model but it is the exact same paint job. He used to hang around the shop when he was younger and had 2 made for him when still in his teens.
This to me is a pretty special cycle and so I am glad your liking it so much.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, still got a couple of upgrades ins tore for this machine.

More soon.

Back