Holdsworth Championship rebuild

allenh

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
I've finally got around to doing some work on my 1979 Holdsworth Championship

Those amongst you who read this Holdsworth Identification thread and are blessed with a decent memory will remember that I bought an unknown Holdsworth in the summer which was mainly for the parts but once properly identified I decided I would restore it.

The Championship is quite a rare model that seemed to be available in 78 and 79 only and much like my 1976 Holdsworth Autograph rare but not the greatest of Holdsworth frames, but still a very nice ride-able machine and H Lloyd’s do the decals so still worth doing.

So first problem as this bike had very few of its original components was to find decent images to work out what to use for the build, luckily the catalogue pictures are widely available so working out what to build it with wasn't too bad. Next was the colour which Holdsworth describe as sand lustre and Ford champagne gold seems to be a decent match.

So time to start build with pictures of the painted and decalled frame along with the bits I've collected together so far below

As I move on with it I'll post some more but I expect as the sun finally leaves us down here in the English Riviera it won't be as quick as I'd like.

Components so far are:

Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport front and rear mechs
Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport shifters
Campagnolo bottom bracket cable guide
SR Royal Chainset
SR pedals
Weinman 500 calipers and brake levers
GB bars and stem
Rigida 700c rims on Mailard large flange hubs
ITM seat pin

Not decided on the saddle yet or the finishing kit but in the catalogue the bar tape and cables are Royal blue so I'll probably go with that.

Attachments

• champ 002.jpg
    champ 002.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 2,245
  • champ 003.jpg
    champ 003.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 2,245
  • champ 001.jpg
    champ 001.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 2,243
Checking in Allen.... nice paint as usual, any before photos?

Re:

Very poor. There is a perfect profile picture of this bike over at Kilgariff, and yet you have still managed to put the decals in the wrong place..

This picture?

holdsworth.jpg

Only thing I can spot is the bottom bands on the seat tube are upside down, hardly a hanging offence....?

Oops blame Lloyds for the seat tube band as the seat tube decals all come in one piece and I must admit I didn't spot that either, the spacing of what they send out though is correct to the production bikes which are a little different to the one in the catalogue shot as the championship text panel moves down more centrally between the bands, although the bottom band is still reversed on the production bikes.

Other than missing the bottom band being upside down, poor? I think someone might need a little trip to Specsavers and a lesson in googling more than just one image.

PeachyPM":si4sctei said:
Checking in Allen.... nice paint as usual, any before photos?

Thanks, yes the before photo's are in the Holdsworth Identification thread linked here and in the original post, It's the one that was Mistral green with black panels.

Re: Re:

sswinton":1lbee6qd said:
Your frame looks upgraded from the catalogue with top tube cable guides brazed on.

Yes it was one of the things that confused me as the catalogue pics don't have any top tube cable guides but when I was researching the model I found another example of a 79 model that also had top tube cable guides so can only assume they were added to the later models as most I found didn't have them.

Like the cable run to the rear mech, Holdsworth couldn't make up their mind sometimes whether to run them over or under the BB despite the pics in the catalogues..... Maybe they tossed a coin in the factory :)

Back