Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:40 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:42 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:41 pm
Posts: 9405
Location: Cumbria
Miscounted the digits so it does match Raleigh / Carlton frame number, re read the post and the bcm stamp is for Bocama. I really must pay more attention lol


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:31 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:01 am
Posts: 71
Midlife wrote:
Miscounted the digits so it does match Raleigh / Carlton frame number, re read the post and the bcm stamp is for Bocama. I really must pay more attention lol


No Probs.
Thanks for your interest and input. I am learning a lot from such knowledgeable members. Really interesting article on Oscar Egg.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:39 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:01 am
Posts: 71
allenh wrote:
My instinct would be Raleigh / Carlton as well, the lugs looked very familiar and having had a look my Raleigh built Sun Super Snipe had them. That said though my Holdsworth Championship uses the same lugs and has similar treatment of the rear stays but the forks are totally different.


Hi allenh. My thoughts exactly about the forks. Who knows in its previous life it may have had bent forks and maybe they have been replaced with all chrome ones. I know Raleigh made chrome forks as before restoring my Cobra I spoke to a local bike shop who had a set stored up in the shops loft.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:09 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:01 am
Posts: 71
allenh wrote:
My instinct would be Raleigh / Carlton as well, the lugs looked very familiar and having had a look my Raleigh built Sun Super Snipe had them. That said though my Holdsworth Championship uses the same lugs and has similar treatment of the rear stays but the forks are totally different.


I agree the Holdsworth Championship had same lugs. Does the frame number structure tie in with a Holdworth?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:44 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:31 am
Posts: 375
Location: North Kent Coast UK
Lackluster wrote:
allenh wrote:
My instinct would be Raleigh / Carlton as well, the lugs looked very familiar and having had a look my Raleigh built Sun Super Snipe had them. That said though my Holdsworth Championship uses the same lugs and has similar treatment of the rear stays but the forks are totally different.


I agree the Holdsworth Championship had same lugs. Does the frame number structure tie in with a Holdworth?


No I don't think so, although it does look a lot like a Holdsworth Championship frame wise I still think Raleigh/Carlton is much more likely. From memory an early 80's Raleigh Gran Sport had sloping crown chrome forks so they could well be original but the frame is quite different to yours. Either way it's a nice looking frame.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:41 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:41 am
Posts: 32
The frame is definitely a Carlton product having a Wxxxxxxxxxxx prefixed serial number. When you take the bike apart look down the headtube and check for filled holes. If there are three, a Raleigh, if there are two, it will be a Carlton. The forks look like an aftermarket change.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:06 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:01 am
Posts: 71
bertinjim wrote:
The frame is definitely a Carlton product having a Wxxxxxxxxxxx prefixed serial number. When you take the bike apart look down the headtube and check for filled holes. If there are three, a Raleigh, if there are two, it will be a Carlton. The forks look like an aftermarket change.


Thanks for the above. I take it you mean to examine the headtube to check where Carlton or Raleigh badges would have been? I will be stripping frame down in December when time permits. Thanks for your contribution bertinjim.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group