Sun Worksop Chrome Frame

peterfletcher

Old School Hero
I recently picked this up. Bit of a nostalgia fest - I had one as a boy!
All chrome frame, I reckon its a Snipe Plus from mid sixties. Can anyone confirm this?
Frame number on the bottom bracket looks like 4699088 with a separate X.

Attachments

• IMG_1321.jpg
    IMG_1321.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 916
  • IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 916
  • IMG_1319.jpg
    IMG_1319.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 916
  • IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 916
Re:

Anyone know what size the bottom bracket is in these?
British seems tight. Is it by some chance the old Raleigh 26tpi size??

Could be a 60s Cresta also, they did an all chrome version. LHS rear drop out should have a stamp and letter/number.

Hi Spokesman,
It could be a Cresta but there are no numbers on the rear dropouts, only the frame number on the bottom bracket which looks like 4699088 with a separate X.
Do you have any links to pics of these? Not sure the paint on the downtube with the sun logo in script is correct. The one I had in my youth was painted in their "Nicrillic" finish in red and green but the paint soon fell off in great chunks so I stripped it all!
This one is fighting me already - tried to fit some wheels but the front fork slot is too small for a Record QR axle! Then tried to fit a bottom bracket but bottled out when it got too tight!!
Looking at you other posts I see we were only twenty numbers apart on the Eroica this year - I was 1674.

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 786
It was wet and windy at the weekend so i got to work. Stripped the frame of paint and Decals and polished it up with the Solvol Autosol. The frame came up very well so started to assemble with bits from the parts bin...
Bottom bracket is a weird size - measures between 71 and 72 mm - random! a 68mm BB is very wrong so i put in a 73mm and seems OK.
Campag gears and chainset, Campag/Mavic 27" wheels and Mafac brakes and levers. Brooks saddle to sit on.
Came out nice and its very shiny!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1327.jpg
    IMG_1327.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_1324.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_1326.jpg
    IMG_1326.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 641
Question is what to do about Decals??
I have a set of Sun Snipe Prestige that I could apply to the frame. Do I put these on or leave it naked??
If I apply the decals will it work if I put them direct on the chrome or will it look better if I paint some panels first to put the decals on???

Just for fun I have attached a photo of me on the one I had as a youth BITD. It was nicked from a flat in Castle Donnington in the late seventies.
The only bit I will never find again is a pair of very sexy Bartalli brake levers that I put on, bought second hand from Bill Harvills shop in Hilsea in the seventies...
I'm the one on the left!

Attachments

• IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 641
Back