Graham Weigh Columbus Thron

fiveSixteenths

Senior Retro Guru
Brought this from @cipollini (recommend as a seller on here), arrived on Monday. Am pretty made up actually, it's lovely. Properly made my day when I unpacked it.

Am building it up soon mostly with bits and pieces from the parts bin / swap-outs, so will be a super-low budget Sunday racer :)

As it's a keeper, wanted to try and find out a bit more about it so on cipollini's advice, mailed Graham Weigh Cycles and got this terrific reply from Graham the same night:

"Sorry but I dont exactly remember when we used Thron tubing but that style of welded frame which came out of my collaboration with Paul Donohue was 90 to 93 after that I discovered I could get frame built in China painted and shipped to UK cheaper than I could buy the tubing sets in the UK , sort of killed off my factory overnight , thats when Deeside Cycles moved up a gear , several gears actually ,
The paint finish is definitely one I had designed and Donohue executed form me in the Bishop Auckland factory . I seem to recall the BB shell we used on welded frames at the time were not conducive to being punch stamped so we stopped putting frame number on . I think it was possible to use a thinner metal as the welding of the tubes strengthened the structure , unlike the cast BB sheets which were much heavier and were brazed to the tubes which was nowhere near as strong .
We still have the same decals if you need any , just give Keith a call at the shop [I’m retired these days]"

More views of the build soon...

Attachments

• IMG_4630.JPG
    IMG_4630.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 824
  • IMG_4631.JPG
    IMG_4631.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_4632.JPG
    IMG_4632.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 823
Back