rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Hello Gang,

Picked this up on my travels today, real cheap. Only went for it because it was sporting a nice Benelux deraleur and I knew I would be passing.
But after a close inspection and using my now new found trick of wetting the blank name banner shows this up as a “Valiant T.59” Model, frame number 55176 (1955 January No76)
The Valiant is mentioned in text on nkilgariff “. The Jubilee Special & Valiant T59 were offered, sometime 1953-55. The Valiant T.59B was advertised in 1955."
But there are no images or references in any of the catalogues.

Anyone out there got any ideas? 1955 Valiant T.59 #55176 toptube.jpeg 1955 Valiant T.59 #55176.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Re:

biggs682":2sfjozyd said:
Nice find and looks gorgeous

Yes, just wish I knew why there is no catalogue reference for this model, is it rare? Or just considered as an after thought so not really pushed? What does the T.59 stand for/ Touring model 59 maybe?

The frame set I would assume is higher end, all 531 reynolds and has nice pencil thin stays. Although I think it has cast lugs not Bi-lams they are nicely lined, the orange flamboyant looks like its over a nickel base rather than a pearl paint, all drop outs are chromed as is the fork crown.
She’s certainly dressed in a mixed bag of kit, the Williams crank set was pretty standard, not bottom end but no Gnutti of Chater Lea either, the Brampton Continental head set is nice but again not top end. The Cyclo Benelux Super 60 is quality but would have been an addition in the 60’s. The Dunlop special Lightweight rims are also nice but were fitted to a lot of 50’s bikes so not indicative of a high spec machine. Aluminium flat bars and Weinmann levers I’m guessing are 70’s :?

That looks an interesting specimen, and a great find from the mid 50's!
Judging by the lugs and chrome ends, possibly a butted Reynolds 531 end-to-end. Is that what the decal says?
Would be interesting to know some of its history - wonder what it's original derailleur was, Cyclo sport perhaps? And the brakes - GB sport or GB coureur maybe? Wonder why they were changed so early in its life-cycle?
Another challenging project for the queue !!

Craigmount":1ylo00zq said:
That looks an interesting specimen, and a great find from the mid 50's!
Judging by the lugs and chrome ends, possibly a butted Reynolds 531 end-to-end. Is that what the decal says?
Would be interesting to know some of its history - wonder what it's original derailleur was, Cyclo sport perhaps? And the brakes - GB sport or GB coureur maybe? Wonder why they were changed so early in its life-cycle?
Another challenging project for the queue !!

Sticker says 531 but the text is unclear. Brakes are GB Sport Mk1's.
I was wondering the same regarding the derailleur, but then the Benelux '60 could well have been added at any time since of course, not necessarily in the 60's

(definatly at the back of the queue for a while at least) :D

Big Block":3cyv1r9m said:

Top man Big Block.... where was that catalogue? VCC library?

Attachments

• Valiant T.59.PNG
    Valiant T.59.PNG
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,237
Re:

As the watermark indicates, this was from threespeedhub. The rare gaps in the V-CC library can occasionally be filled from other sources. This is one I go to.
And it is ideal to inform your project.
Philip

Big Block":338ogwu4 said:
As the watermark indicates, this was from threespeedhub. The rare gaps in the V-CC library can occasionally be filled from other sources. This is one I go to.
And it is ideal to inform your project.
Philip

Cheers Philip, checked this out last night... good source, thanks for the steer. :cool:

Back