My Workhorse 1974 Carlton Cobra

Lackluster

rBotM Winner
Hi All
As my name suggests my old 74 Cobra lacked a bit of luster. After many years of good service I decided to give the old bike a full service and refurb. Not being an experienced restorer, I sought assistance on this site. Thanks to all who contributed. The Cobra has a good work pedigree not only for regular road riding., but also for ‘yes’ off road saurte’s including youth hostel weekends and long holidays. In 2015 I decided to give my steed a much needed rest and easier future life. I completely stripped it down, degreased and cleaned all the peat bog, road dust and accumulated grime, and there it sat naked down to the frame on the bike stand for 3 years until June 2018 when family commitments allowed me time to finish the job.
Yes the original blue paint was removed and the chrome derusted using vinager and aluminium foil and a good chrome cleaner. I did make enquiries about a full rechrome, but the cost was extortionate so I decided to continue alternating my cleaning, polishing and waxing of the original frame. Most of the build bits are originals. The major change being the front chainset which is now 30,36 this was changed in 2000 to assist with the many hill climbs and bridleway rides. All cables were replaced in the refurb together with new chain and a retreated Brooks saddle which I darkened to match the new bar tapes. New toe clips were added to complete the image I wanted. Just a couple of chrome shortie mudguards will restore it to the first love of my life status. Much to the annoyance of my long suffering wife. I am looking forward to many more years of use from this trusty steed. Both of us taking it a little easier as the years roll on.

——————————————-
Inspired to ride by Wayfarer ‘W M Robinson’ article ‘Over The Top’

Attachments

• 5AFDEB17-277B-4095-8D22-AEAAFE55CB0A.jpeg
    5AFDEB17-277B-4095-8D22-AEAAFE55CB0A.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 2,160
  • 216086AC-E7B0-4233-B28A-9455405641CA.jpeg
    216086AC-E7B0-4233-B28A-9455405641CA.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 2,160
  • 769EC301-D48F-4C02-9F74-DEBB84CBAED2.jpeg
    769EC301-D48F-4C02-9F74-DEBB84CBAED2.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 2,160
  • 78BC35A8-B712-41E1-9350-FA6A5A4002EA.jpeg
    78BC35A8-B712-41E1-9350-FA6A5A4002EA.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 2,157
Morning, I got your PM but I can’t reply till you made some changes to your settings;
Go to ‘Control Panel’
Then in ‘Options’ choose ‘Board preferences’ then check ‘Yes’ to ‘Allow users to send you private messages’

Its probably worth you going through some of these options menus, lengthy but reasonably self-explanatory and the help/FAQ is pretty good. Please note some options are disabled (such as a signature and the ability to vote) until you have notched up 30 posts/thread comments.

Finished Job...well almost.. Homemade shortie mudguards courtesy of a friend and made from mudguards on 2005 photo.
Just needs a brown leather tool bag to complete how I want it to look. My vision......... :roll:

Attachments

• 20026277-FF38-4230-A56E-9B5CF6CD1063.jpeg
    20026277-FF38-4230-A56E-9B5CF6CD1063.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 1,816
Thanks for your reply Splatter Paint.
All my bikes are ridden regularly and this one will now take life a little easier. I really enjoy the comfortable ride an old bike gives me. Just like the comfort of a old pair of well worn slippers. :)

Re:

Interesting choice of gearing. Can I ask why you have not dropped the front mech to be closer to the chainrings?

Don't suppose it makes any odds to anyhow, but just wondering.

Hi NeilM. Thanks for the interest in my article. The choice of gearing was dictated by my chosen style of riding in early 2000. I changed the larger chainset to the now 36T large 30T small as this was the only chainset the local bike shop had that could still be shifted by the old original Sachs Huret front derailleur which does have a long casing. I did try moving it down when refitting this time, but the problem was it hit either the frames chainstay or the rear derailleur cable which travels above the chainstay. It may look awkward, but it does change smoothly. I suppose I could try and source the original large chainset and cranks, but really I am pleased with the ride the bike gives me now. Even though both our touring and pass storming days are now in the distant past. Thanks again for your interest.

Re:

Chainstays, yes of course. I knew there was bound to be a sensible reason.

I understand about 'practical' gearing. I have an ex-CX frame which I have set up 1 x 10 with a 38 t chainring. It makes for not quite MTB gearing and not quite road gearing but somewhere nicely in between.... just as I wanted it. I also have a Genesis touring bike which was supplied with a bizarre Shimano triple crankset that had 50, 39, 30. This is fine for riding on the road, but put a few kilos in each pannier and head for the hills and it all gets very hard work. I did a straight swap for a XT triple with 44, 34, 24, a bit slower on the flat but at least I can climb hill when loaded.

NeilM
Thanks for the above. It is great to hear about your bikes and chainsets. I have tried to keep as many of my bikes original parts for the rebuild, but it has had a very hard working life, after all they were built to be ridden, even if mine was ridden in a rather unusual way. Meaning over the years some bits have had to be changed to accommodate my riding style. It has on a number of occasions covered Wayfarer’s ‘Over the Top’ route in North Wales, a trip over the Berwyn Mountains, and in 2005 completed a 100mile trek over the Lake District fells 90% off-road on bridleways and byeways being ridden, pushed and sometimes even indignantly carried.... Ulverston-Coniston-Langdales- Borrowdale-Keswick-Dockray Coaching Road-Patterdale-High Street- Grasmere-Ulverston. The bike always came up smiling and has never let me down, so now it deserves to come up shining and it still has a future. It still catches the eye and starts conversations when on local trips. It has not been refurbished and rebuilt to sell, purely for my own personal use. Everyone has a favourite bike in their collection.

——————————————-
Inspired to ride by Wayfarer ‘W M Robinson’ article ‘Over The Top’

The final image may not appeal to everyone, but it is the vision I had at the start of this complete refurbishment. Yes the old bike can still catch the eye and has started many an interesting conversation when out on the road. I look forward to many more years of use from this the favourite steed in my stable. We are always just dreaming of 'Another Place' just down that long and winding road!

Attachments

• IMG_2013.JPG
    IMG_2013.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 1,752
Back