Raleigh Rapide 12 1983

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I know nothing about retro road bikes, the closest I ever got was a 1995 Dawes Galaxy! I bought this from the tip today..... some questions:

1. Is it middle-of-the road spec? It looks it.
2. Will it be sacrilege to retro-mod it?
3. Will those Campag levers work on a 10 speed cassette and let me access the whole width?
4. Why are the bars so narrow? :? Has anyone got some cheap 42 cm ones?
5. The brakes are shocking. Has anyone got a cheap, polished alloy front caliper, or failing that a pair of any colour?

SP

Attachments

• Rapide_4.jpg
    Rapide_4.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,269
  • Rapide_3.jpg
    Rapide_3.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,268
  • Rapide_2.jpg
    Rapide_2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1,269
  • Rapide_1.jpg
    Rapide_1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,270
Re:

More... I just last week sold a groupset that would be perfect on this :evil: :facepalm:

Attachments

• Rapide_7.jpg
    Rapide_7.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,266
  • Rapide_6.jpg
    Rapide_6.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,266
  • Rapide_5.jpg
    Rapide_5.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,266
Re:

Upper mid range, you will have to cold set the frame to get a 10 speed rear wheel in there or even an 8 speed probably. Then yes I would say the lever movement is enough but will be fiddly with such narrow spacing. Back in the 80's Raleigh believed no-one had shoulders broader than 10", actually Raleigh back then considered Bars, Stems, and Saddles, as disposable items.

I've got one pretty much exactly the same one in the garage that I'm still deciding what to do with, except mine looks in a bit better condition.

Yours looks pretty original apart from the bar tape, tyres and the brake blocks which I expect are your problem with the brakes, also the saddle on mine is suede which I think was original.

In the short term i'd put some new brake blocks on it and a wider range 6 or 7 freewheel and use it for a while until you decide what to do with it.

It's actually quite a nice thing to ride as it is, it shows its age obviously but a nice enough thing all the same

Re:

That was the first racer that i bought and from the same shop, if you look at the sticker above the headbadge, it says Cardiff. Apologies offered for getting all nostalgic there.
Just check out that the seatpost and stem aren't stuck before you get carried away
Imo, the frame is good, the rear mech is bombproof and the rest is medioca.
Regards,
Richard Lees.

Re: Re:

Dicky71":37if1vkv said:
That was the first racer that i bought and from the same shop, if you look at the sticker above the headbadge, it says Cardiff. Apologies offered for getting all nostalgic there.
Just check out that the seatpost and stem aren't stuck before you get carried away
Imo, the frame is good, the rear mech is bombproof and the rest is medioca.
Regards,
Richard Lees.

Is it yours?!?

The seat post was lightly stuck, but plusgas and brute force got it out. I will check out the stem today.

If anybody thinks I’m wrecking this, I’d be happy to swap for a frameset in the same size. It must take 700c wheels and be steel though.

SP

Back