1990's Rourke - A winter bike project

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I bought this 653 frame a few years ago for very little money. I had not got around to building it up when my daughter asked if I had a spare frame we could turn into a bike for her partner. Duly built, it was ridden all year round for a while before it eventually found its way back to me. It had a matching pair of forks with it at the time but they have gone missing somewhere along the way.

So, back with me a plan formed in my head to have it painted bright orange, much like my DOGS BOLX and use it as my winter 'steel' bike. This plan relied for a lot of its parts on me stripping down a 1980's Keith Coppell, which I eventually did yesterday, I also located a set of Rourke forks that came with my 853 frame, that is wearing carbon Mizuno forks these days, so the original steel ones are spare. I have today discovered a suitable pair of Mavic wheels that I had forgotten about, so, need to get the frame painted and start cleaning the SRAM bits.

This is the starting point.
DSC_0007.JPG

Re:

Back from the paint shop.

In the end I went the Powder Coat route, although it is not the thick plastic looking coat I have seen in the past, this actually looks much more like paint.

Thanks to Nick at Reality Motorcycles.

Left%20Side.JPG

Right%20Side.JPG

I managed to get an almost unused pair of Prime tubeless wheels from the bay along with a new set of USE bars, exactly the same as the ones I have on my summer Rourke. Schwalbe Pro-1 tubeless tyres on their way as is a headset.

Next I need to secure a 110mm Ritchey stem and apply the decals.

Comin along.

Re:

It's a very lightweight frame and the pc has added very little weight. It is not a super glossy finish, but it is ideal for the project.

:D Tagging along on this one Neil... hoping to pick up some 90’s knowledge on the way :cool:

Not sure this one will give much 90's info, as it is more of a modern build on a 90's frame, but thanks for tagging along anyway.

Last day of our holiday today, so work will recommence after the weekend.

NeilM":2ilv0j76 said:
Not sure this one will give much 90's info, as it is more of a modern build on a 90's frame, but thanks for tagging along anyway.

Last day of our holiday today, so work will recommence after the weekend.

:D That’s good news, as although I now have a fully Shimano 90’s group set together (plus mavic rims) ready for the Concorde restoration thread, Jim has asked if he can replace it with bang up to date kit when he’s big enough to ride it. And as my list below might reveal, I have almost zero experience on any bike post 1997! (not counting the kids Halfords cheap rides) :cool:

Re:

The advantage of a wet weekend is that it gives me some building time.

So. Decals applied, maybe a little low and I may replace them but fine for now.

Forks, steerer cut to size, top cap needed. Ritchey stem, USE bars bought NOS for next to nothing on the bay, X-Lite Clikon seatpost left over from a Lloyd projects, Charge Spoon saddle given to me, tubeless valves installed into the rims, Schwalbe Pro One tyres fitted, much pumping later and up they went, gloop added this morning, SRAM 12-28 cassette scrubbed clean (why do I put away dirty cassette's?), SRAM Rival 10 x 2 levers, SRAM Force brakes cleaned and installed, front mech same, rear mech same, gear cable guides same, cranks SRAM Force, I think, the arms were pretty abused when I got them so rubbed back to bare carbon.

Stuff to buy, orange bar tape, 1 1/8" black top cap, second bottle cage at some point, black arse saver.

Next job, cable it up and then adjust the brake pads. After that wrap the bars, fit a chain and some pedals and we are nearly there.

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

Back