Falcon Black Arrow

BruceSteel

Retro Newbie
Hey folks,

I've got a Falcon Black Arrow 2000 from the 70s. Interestingly enough it's not running a derailleur but has a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub dated 1974 which I'm convinced is original as there are no indications of any holes for down tube shifters. It's a road bike with drop bars, I just find it strange that it's fitted with a 3 speed hub gear, this would of been quite common 20 years before this was made but 1970s??

If anyone knows about Falcon bicycles from this era or has information on this model I'd certainly be interested. There's nothing about it on the internet except a few classifieds now finished. Any help appreciated :)

Attachments

• falcon4.jpg
    falcon4.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,169
  • falcon2.jpg
    falcon2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,169
  • falcon3.jpg
    falcon3.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,169
I think they made these in the late 70's. I would expect it to be 5 or 10 speed with band on down tube shifters. Probably been converted to
3 speed. Do the front and rear wheel rims match? Any pictures?

Thanks, I think you're right although I can't make out any markings where the down tube shifters would of been but there is a small lug in the 2nd picture where some gear cable would of threaded through, possibly indicating a derailleur?

Also, what's with the badge? It's nothing like the Falcon head badge and I can't find it anywhere else.

From the Falcons I've got which date from the 60's 70's and 80's the head badge changed about a bit but all mine have some version of the Ernie Clements version with the Olympic rings so I'd guess at yours being later in the 1980's and possibly even 1990's

The newest ones I have show up in the 1980 Catalogue and I know were around as current models for a good few years into the 80's

Toward the end Falcon were a law unto themselves and the Falcon name as far as I remember went through a few hands so models, specifications and decals came and went with frightening frequency, much like a 1970's British Leyland car.

I've got a feeling the forks don't match the frame either, they look quite a bit earlier.

I believe that model with those graphics was first introduced about 1978. There should be a date code on the brake calipers.

The badge is a strange one. Only seemed to run for a short period on certain models. Perhaps the bikes came from a different factory to the ones with the Olympic Rings?

Allenh what Falcon models do you have?

Southcoast I've got an 80's Professional, an 80's Majorca, two 70's Super Tourists (a ladies and a gents) a 60's Black Diamond and a 60's San Remo but the only one thats really original is the Majorca. the rest either came as frames only and got built up or have been used in different ways.

Allenh not wishing to highjack the OP’s thread, but I would be interested in seeing pictures of the San Remo and the Pro.

I'll start a new thread with them when I can. The Pro is built and in use but the San Remo is just a very scruffy frame at the moment.

Back