A really nice but tired looking SBDU

originalshinkicker

rBotM Winner
I've added another SBDU to my collection...

This is a 531 Professional frame, numbered SB7393. It has lots of nice parts and just needs a little TLC after being stored and a leaky garage for a couple of years.

The first thing I liked about it was the original paint and the red/grey contrasting colours.

Once I've got rid of the cobwebs and dealt with some rust on the fork crown and bridges, the paint should shine again.

Most of the transmission is Mavic, the rear derailleur was replaced with Simplex after the original Mavic broke. A lot of the bike is 'stuck' and I had to remove the front derailleur just to get the chain onto a chain ring.

The hubs are Mavic 510 and even though most of the bike is seized, the hubs are super smooth, the Mavic BB feels good too.

I haven't tried turning the stem yet but I loosened the seat binder bolt and managed to get the Super Record seat pin out so hopefully the stem will be the same.

The first owner was a young lad who raced junior TTs with it and after finishing uni he sold it to a uni friend to help fund a 'gap year' cycle tour from Oxford to China - I bought it from that 2nd owner who had used it until a few years ago.

Attachments

• SB7393 1985 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 531 Professional Frame Number.jpg
    SB7393 1985 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 531 Professional Frame Number.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 734
  • SB7393 1985 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 531 Professional Contrasting Paint.jpg
    SB7393 1985 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 531 Professional Contrasting Paint.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 734
  • SB7393 1985 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 531 Professional Campagnolo Brakes.jpg
    SB7393 1985 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 531 Professional Campagnolo Brakes.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 734
  • SB7393 1985 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 531 Professional Mavic and Simplex.jpg
    SB7393 1985 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 531 Professional Mavic and Simplex.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 734
  • SB7393 1985 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 531 Professional Mavic Wheels.jpg
    SB7393 1985 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 531 Professional Mavic Wheels.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 734
  • SB7393 1985 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 531 Professional.jpg
    SB7393 1985 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 531 Professional.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 734
I always check in to see what you've been adding to your amazing collection.

A question. Why Raleigh? I have a connection from childhood. What makes them your passion?

The History Man":oot4dauq said:

A question. Why Raleigh? I have a connection from childhood. What makes them your passion?

Probably a childhood thing too, I had a Raleigh Chico, Hustler, Olympus, Arena, several Grifters and then later had a black and white Mustang and a Banana. The local bike shop was a Raleigh dealer! I got out of bikes a little while ago and sold everything including all my tools, but when I wanted to pick it up again I remembered a lovely red and black 753 TI that was propped up against the shop counter one day when I walked back into the workshop - out of all the bikes I worked on, that is the one that stuck in my mind, so I guess it stems from there, I wanted a project so went for a TI, I couldn't find out much about them on the internet (apart from stuff on the TI team) so I started the blog... and then it snowballed!

Smart looking machine :). Eclectic mix of parts. Is it me or is the chainstay stop quite close to the dropout?

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":kgcftymx said:
When does the SBDU museum open and what will be the admission charge :shock: :shock: :shock: :cool: :cool: :cool: :D

My wife reckons it is already a museum - it currently occupies 3 rooms in the house, she is very understanding!

originalshinkicker":14vc20wj said:
The History Man":14vc20wj said:

Probably a childhood thing too, I had a Raleigh Chico, Hustler, Olympus, Arena, several Grifters and then later had a black and white Mustang and a Banana. The local bike shop was a Raleigh dealer! I got out of bikes a little while ago and sold everything including all my tools, but when I wanted to pick it up again I remembered a lovely red and black 753 TI that was propped up against the shop counter one day when I walked back into the workshop - out of all the bikes I worked on, that is the one that stuck in my mind, so I guess it stems from there, I wanted a project so went for a TI, I couldn't find out much about them on the internet (apart from stuff on the TI team) so I started the blog... and then it snowballed!

Sounds very familiar. But I haven't been quite as intense in my reengagement. :)

Re:

Wish I had 3 rooms to give over to such an amazing collection, I just have bikes in the shed, bedroom, kitchen, and shower room :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sure this will look fantastic with a light sympathetic restoration.

I used to work in a Raleigh dealership in the 80's most fantastic thing that passed through was a late 70's SBDU Time trial special frameset, beautiful workmanship, and the deepest gloss black I have ever seen. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Midlife":3mgl8bvg said:
Smart looking machine :). Eclectic mix of parts. Is it me or is the chainstay stop quite close to the dropout?

Yep, they moved them over time - it's the kind of thing I measure (I've just done a blog post on gear lever position)!

This cable stop is about 4.5cm from the end of the stay, earlier frames had them at about 6.5cm

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":2u9nmjiq said:
Wish I had 3 rooms to give over to such an amazing collection, I just have bikes in the shed, bedroom, kitchen, and shower room :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sure this will look fantastic with a light sympathetic restoration.

I used to work in a Raleigh dealership in the 80's most fantastic thing that passed through was a late 70's SBDU Time trial special frameset, beautiful workmanship, and the deepest gloss black I have ever seen. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I know what you mean about the gloss black - this is the original gloss black on SB6398, I only gave the frame a quick polish and the front derailleur is nicely reflected in the shine

Attachments

• SB6398 Studio (20 of 70).JPG
    SB6398 Studio (20 of 70).JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 698
Back