1986 Raleigh Road Ace 531c - Barn Find to Restomod...

G60MAT

Retro Guru
Whilst building up my Stumpjumper collection over the last year, i picked up a couple of Vintage Specialized Carbon Road Bikes - an Allez Comp and an Epic Comp after working of these decided to look for the 3 old Raleigh's I had back in the day the Sirocco, Road Ace & Quadra.

Here's the second my new Raleigh Road Ace project picked up last week near Worksop - its retired owner had used it up to about 20 years ago and then hung it up in the roof of his barn!

Its a 1986 with Reynolds 531c tubing finished in "Polar Blue with Blaze Blue Decor" and mostly Shimano 600EX components. Wheels are Mavic MA40 with Campag hubs but not original to the bike.

Bike is pretty dirty but mostly original except the wheels and weirdly the shifters are Suntour. Plan is full strip down and rebuild with a few new parts but period correct except more modern tyres and saddle.

Here's a few pics prior to first wash and strip down...

DSC05270 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

DSC05271 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

DSC05272 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

DSC05273 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

DSC05274 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

DSC05275 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

DSC05276 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

DSC05277 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

DSC05278 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

DSC05279 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

DSC05280 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

DSC05282 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

DSC05284 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

DSC05283 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

DSC05285 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

Few pics with its little brother Sirocco prior to full clean and degrease...

DSC05290 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

DSC05291 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

DSC05292 by Matt Trimsport, on Flickr

Few parts to source then rebuild soon! :)

Brake Cables could be shortened which hopefully be the case when renovated.....

Had a Road Race from that era. Surprisingly good bikes to ride considering they are just a "factory" build. All day comfort but pick up well. I keep an eye on evil bay but they always seem to be (justifiably) pricey.

Nice one, I'm envious.

Thanks guys, much appreciated, have gathered a few more parts and will be building both soon... ;)

Back