Klein Quantum

dandy1

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Picked this up a while back, but due to other commitments its taken a while to finish!

Frame: 1999 Klein Quantum (purple haze)
Fork: Icon carbon

Shimano Ultegra 6800 11 speed groupset

Ritchey wcs headset, bars, stem and seatpost

Wheelset: Mavic open pro with purple hope rs4 hubs

Purple Hope bottom bracket, grip ends, skewers, seat clamp

Purple Jagwire road elite cables

Re:

Love it. I have a particular soft spot for the Quantum and this one looks in really nice condition. It definitely holds it's own with modern kit on it and the geometry is solid - particularly love the dropouts as you feel every stroke goes straight to the back wheel. I had a Q-Carbon which I absolutely loved and the carbon forks and stays took the little vibration out of the aluminium. Stunning ride.

Re:

Cheers buddy. It is indeed in absolutely immaculate condition. I'd been after one for a while and when this one came up, had to have it. It came in all original spec, the original shimano 105, icon bars etc and vector wheels.

I've stored all the original components, and then built up the frame with modern parts. It probably won't be to everyone's taste, but it rides and shifts so much better with the newer parts.... Albeit a very harsh ride!

Re: Re:

dandy1":2la5urkz said:
Cheers buddy. It is indeed in absolutely immaculate condition. I'd been after one for a while and when this one came up, had to have it. It came in all original spec, the original shimano 105, icon bars etc and vector wheels.

I've stored all the original components, and then built up the frame with modern parts. It probably won't be to everyone's taste, but it rides and shifts so much better with the newer parts.... Albeit a very harsh ride!

Yeah, the aluminium is solid but kinda perfect for a road bike when the roads are flat and long (which in the UK, really isn't a certainty...) and you can get the miles in! I was never a fan of alu mtb's but really quite liked my alu Q Carbon. I think the purple bling works really well in almost an understated way due to the bling of the paint job. I think I'll keep my ears to the ground for another quantum!

Any plans for the original components...?

Re:

Agreed, on the flats it eats up the miles, it's incredibly responsive. Unfortunately I'm on the Somerset levels and the amount of pot holes is quite ridiculous!!

I was actually looking for a klein Mtb, but when I came across this had to have it.. In fact I'm still tempted by a mantra.

I had intended to keep all the original parts for if / when I ever got rid of it, but to be honest I think this will be one of those bikes I won't want to sell, so the components could well be available.

Re:

Little update: Still riding this on a weekly basis. Have been tempted to try something a bit more modern as the ride is so harsh!

And then saw this wheelset, and having always wanted a set from my younger days thought I'd give them a go. Fitted them yesterday and first ride today. They ride surprisingly well! They roll well and they seem to soften the ride quite a bit

Re: Re:

Southwestslacker1":mb2cqv3d said:
Love the purple wheels, what is their destiny?

Ahh I'll probably be keeping those wheels. If anything they'll be going back on the bike and the spinergy will be up for sale. A lot of my riding covers canal paths, gravel tracks etc.... And I'd trust the Mavics a bit more than the spinergy!

Back