IMG_0216 by Glen Plummer, on Flickr

IMG_0217 by Glen Plummer, on Flickr

IMG_0218 by Glen Plummer, on Flickr

IMG_0220 by Glen Plummer, on Flickr

IMG_0222 by Glen Plummer, on Flickr

IMG_0226 by Glen Plummer, on Flickr

IMG_0280 by Glen Plummer, on Flickr

IMG_0278 by Glen Plummer, on Flickr

I've been meaning to add a decent back story to my Colnago Arabesque in rBoTM. The part of restoring something a bit special that I enjoy most (other than the riding!) is the 'treasure hunt'. And this bikes treasure hunt took me all over the world. The frame was found in Singapore but had been fitted with fairly random collection of C-Record and later Record parts. But the frame was an otherwise unmolested 30th. Anniversary frame complete with the gold club insert at the top of the seat stay. Non 30th Anniversary kitted bikes generally had these as gold paint fill. It was still fitted with the original Colnago chromed headset, 3ttt stem and bars.

The bulk on the 30th. Anniversary groupset was found in Spain - typical 'barn find' style with a tattered box at the back of a high shelf being opened to reveal levers, shifters, seat post, crankset (although one crank cap was missing) and chain rings and brake calipers all in NOS condition. Missing was the hubs, pedals and front and rear derailleurs - but the correct models for all of these are relatively easy to find being generic to most Colnago Super/Arabesque/Regal models in 1983.

Finding the correct Colnago Metamorphosis rims was difficult but eventually a NOS pair was found in USA. The Clement Colnago tyres were found in Italy.

As always it's the details that delay you from calling 'finished'. Chris Howard from Cycloretro (who lives about 5 minutes away from me) stepped in made a 'replica' crank cap complete with inset 18k gold club. Even now I have to check my notes as to which one is 'fake' (it's the non-drive side one). I also has Chris make up some matching bar plugs and toe strap buttons as we were on a roll and had half a dozen extra 'clubs' that we'd laser cut from the gold sheet.

Meanwhile the global search for the correct bottle cage and bottle ensued. After 18 months I followed a Facebook lead and managed to procure a NOS ALE for Colnago bottle cage and bottle still in it's original box (but showing some 'shop wear') in the Veneto region of Italy.

The custom bar wrap and saddle bag were done by "Busyman Bicycles" here in Melbourne to match the Rolls saddle.

I think its finished! Now I've put about 200km under it's wheels, and the usual minor tweeks and fitting adjustments have resulted in a superbly comfortable and smooth ride. The 80's drivetrain and overall 'aero' is noticeably more 'draggy' than a current 11 speed, and the narrow tubular are a little more harsh than my usual 25mm ones, but the ride on coarse 'chip seal' bitumen roads is (if anything) smoother than my current Cervelo R5...

The Build List:

Frame and Fork: 1983 Colnago Arabesque 52cm
Headset: Colnago chrome steel
Stem: 3ttt 90mm
Handlebar: 3ttt Superleggera
Bar Tape: Custom perforated leather wrap - hand stitched
Bar Plugs: Colnago 30th Anniversary

Brake Levers/Brifters: Campagnolo "Colnago 30th Anniversary"
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo "Colnago 30th Anniversary"
Brake Pads: Campagnolo Super Record
Brake Cables: Campagnolo Ultra low friction

Shifters: Campagnolo "Colnago 30th Anniversary"
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record "Pat 83"
Derailleur Cables: Campagnolo Super Record
Cassette: Campagnolo Super Record 6 spd 14-28
Chain: Regina Oro drilled
Cranks: Campagnolo "Colnago 30th Anniversary"
Chainrings: Campagnolo "Colnago 30th Anniversary"
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Super Record titanium
Pedals: Campagnolo "Colnago 30th Anniversary"
Toe Clips: Campagnolo Super Record
Toe Straps: Alfedo Binda "Colnago" fitted with 30th. Anniversary buttons

Rims: Ambrosio Metamorphosis
Hubs: Campagnolo "Colnago 30th Anniversary"
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo Super Record
Nipples: Chromed brass
Spokes: DT Swiss Champion
Tyres: Clement "Colnago" tubulars

Saddle: Selle San Marco Rolls -black perforated leather
Seatpost: Campagnolo "Colnago 30th Anniversary"
Seatpost Binder: Campagnolo Super Record

Bottle Cage: ALE for Colnago and matching ALE 'Cicli Colnago' bottle

Extras: Saddle tool bag in perforated black leather to match bar wrap and saddle.

Back