Attachments

• soens1.jpg
    soens1.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 2,265
  • bill soens confirmation.JPG
    bill soens confirmation.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 2,263
Re: 1960s Eddie Soens restoration

Nice to see another Soens , it really needs a Brooks pro saddle when its finished

Re:

A little bit of background. Bought from a lady who inherited the frame from her dad in the 70s. He'd originally bought it (at a race meeting) from Pete Matthews who took over Jimmy Soens' shop when Jimmy retired (brother of Eddie). Although Eddie had a shop and sold his bikes from there (all built by his son Bill) but he is probably better remembered as a coach who turned out some seriously quick riders.

Originally in a light metallic blue, it was a bit the worse for wear when she got it. It was resprayed (she thinks at a Birmingham car works) in the mid 70s! Hence the horrible (IMHO) orange. From a British Leyland paint colour chart I found on the marvellous interweb it closely matches a colour "Topaz" used by BL as a Triumph colour between 73 and 75. Strangely enough I owned a Spitfire in the same colour, until its rear end twitchiness got too much (and a family was on the way...). The bike was built up with parts supplied by Swinnertons of Stoke, her LBS at the time.

It has undergone a few changes since. I'll post some detail on it's spec for those of you who can stay awake. It's now in bits and the frame has gone off (not alone - I took it) for refinishing. Graphite grey (RAL 7024) all over, with possibly white panels on seat tube and head tube in the future depending on funds available. All decals still available from hlloyds.

Attachments

• all in bits.JPG
    all in bits.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 2,213
Re:

What a good idea biggs682 - I wonder where I might get one of those...?

Hang on a minute! What's this? I say, some kind fella has just sent me one! And by gum, it looks fab on top of the old SR Laprade seat post that came with the bike.

Attachments

• brooks pro small.JPG
    brooks pro small.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 2,205
Re: Re:

chickendrumsticks":1y5em57v said:
What a good idea biggs682 - I wonder where I might get one of those...?

Hang on a minute! What's this? I say, some kind fella has just sent me one! And by gum, it looks fab on top of the old SR Laprade seat post that came with the bike.

That's the sort i meant

Re:

Thanks Midlife. But it's high gloss grey, not metallic. Will still be nice I hope. Here's a pic.
Any prizes awarded for the most boring pic of the year (MBPOTY)? If so I might just enter!

Attachments

• ral7024.JPG
    ral7024.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 2,196
Re: 1960s Eddie Soens restoration

Get some nice decals to bring the frame to life

Re:

Thanks Nob. An original full set of decals is still available from Nick at hlloydcycles, as well as period correct 531 ones. They'll soon be winging their way here.

I hope to do the old bike justice, although it'll never win rbotm!

Attachments

• soens10.JPG
    soens10.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 2,161
Back