SBDU 7364 531c Chome Panasonic - Restoration

Maca

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Back towards the end of last year I managed to pick up a nice Panasonic over Chrome 531C SBDU frame.

I've always loved the Panasonic frames (I did one a good few years back) but have always fancied a Chrome one.

When I bought it I knew the forks were bad and would need either a re-chrome or paint them all blue. But I couldn't make up my mind, would new chrome match ? It should have part chrome forks not all blue so would that option look out of place ?

Once the frame arrived I saw there was a bit more pitting that I 1st thought in a few areas so decided I would do a full restoration. Its been sat waiting for a good few months now.

Attachments

• chrome1.jpg
    chrome1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,507
  • chrome2.jpg
    chrome2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,507
  • chrome3.jpg
    chrome3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,507
  • chrome4.jpg
    chrome4.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,507
  • chrome5.jpg
    chrome5.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,507
Today I finally got around to getting it ready for its re-chrome. All the decals were removed (after measurements were taken) and carefully kept to be re-produced.

Attachments

• chrome7.jpg
    chrome7.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,505
  • chrome6.jpg
    chrome6.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,505
I've also picked up a couple of nice period parts in the shape of the earliest Avocet computer and a saddle.

Attachments

• chrome8.jpg
    chrome8.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,503
  • chrome9.jpg
    chrome9.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,503
Re: Re:

JSH":i21o5yi2 said:
Exciting!

Are you having it all rechromed and painted over the chrome.

Yes, its going in to be striped, polished, nickeled and chromed. It will then go for paint over the chrome exactly as Raleigh did it back then. We may put some clear over the blue and let the clear go a mm or 2 on to the chrome (the stripes will go over top and hide it) just to give edge of the blue some protection.

Its going to take 4 - 6 weeks for the chrome.

Not 100% sure yet, I think I'm going to take it to Ashford chroming as they seem good, sound like they know what they are doing and are the closest.

Is this a “regardless of cost” resto. I’m always terrified of buying something that needs chrome

It never started out that way and to be fair cost is a consideration. Ashford have come back with a good price but have assured me they know what they are doing when it comes to how a bike frame needs to be treated. Hope they are as good as they say.

I’m sure they will be. There can’t be many markets growing as much as ours! I’ve always thought to rechrome and paint is a £1000ish so I’ve always moved on frames with ratty chrome. I passed up on one of Les West’s Holdsworth Professional bikes because of it ( wish I hadn’t)

Back