Matt70's Dynatech 905 ti retromod build.

onegoodbike

Merlin Fan
Feedback
View
......so for the last couple of summers I've been pootling about on modernish carbon fibre road bikes and thoroughly enjoyable it has been too!. However in all that time sitting in the corner of the shed has been my practically unused retro build, which consisted of this frame with 1" threaded forks, quill stem and an 8 speed Shimano 600 groupset. It was basically admired as I put away the CF bike and maybe taken for a spin once or twice a year.

Anyway, jump to this autumn and a plan hatches in my tiny mind, I have a soft spot for these underrated Raleigh titanium frames and I also have a CF bike fitted with a 10 speed dura ace groupset in good nick, what if I combine them?.

.....after a bit of fettling over the Christmas period here's the result of my cunning plan, hope you like it, I'm pretty pleased with it and am looking forward to this years better weather :D .

Build details:

1995 58cm Dynatech 905ti Titanium frame

Columbus Minimal C/F forks

Campagnolo Chorus 1" threadless headset

Shimano Dura Ace 10 speed groupset

Fizik Cyrano R1 bars, stem and seatpost

Fizik Aliante VS kium railed saddle

Bontrager RXL C/F bottle cages

Shimano Dura Ace C/F chainset 52/39 on a hollowtech 2 bottom bracket (see more recent pics)

MKS Custom Pro quill pedals (toe straps! possibly the only really retro bit. :D )

Ambrosio Excellight 28 hole rims on Dura Ace hubs fitted with a 12-25 cassette and Continental 25mm Grand Prix tyres

It weighs in at a slender 18lbs as pictured (probably a bit more now the saddlebag and pump are fitted).

Attachments

• pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 1,190
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,189
  • pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 1,191
Re:

I like it, and have just done something similar with my Kona Haole titanium (Sandvik-build). I think titanium and black components complement each other.
Hope your Raleigh rides as good as it looks!

Thanks guys, to be honest I think i'll be out on it the next dry day we have, I'm pretty confident it'll ride ok as I've replicated the measurements from my C/F bike build and that was a joy to ride.

Re:

That is so cool.

Dynatech really did make some great looking (and riding) frames, what a shame all that was lost.

Looks great! And it doesn't look anything like a 23 year old bike (frame, at least)!

Re:

......bit of an update.......

Still waiting for the good weather!, but I have been busy-ish.

The bike's had a few little changes just to correct a personal niggle or two, I've fitted 1" carbon spacers and lowered the bars a touch after a spin round the village to check everything was good to go. I've fitted a black adaptor to the stem to get rid of the previous alloy jobbie showing at the back of the stem.

I also discovered that for a short while Shimano made a carbon fibre chainset, so after a bit of internalised justifying I tracked one down, I think it may be a bit 'Marmite' for some, but I love it :D .

The bike has now been fitted with all the bits and bobs it'll need for this summer's riding, so bring on the warm weather.

Matt

Attachments

• 905ti pic 2.jpg
    905ti pic 2.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 1,191
  • 905ti pic 1.jpg
    905ti pic 1.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 1,191
Back