Peugeot 708

Chat Noir

Devout Dirtbag
This frame arrived over the Christmas holiday period from France, built for a professional team but not used:

I have a number of old Peugeots and I like Reynolds tubing so an obvious frame to go for. Advertised as NOS it certainly looks as if it has never been built up, just the odd mark from storage and an uncut steerer tube. The seller said that he picked up several old frames and assorted equipment from the Bigmat Auber team, including steel, aluminium and carbon frames, with Sachs, Mavic and Campag components. This frame has the name Denis Roux on the top tube (a professional rider who retired in 1992) and appears to have been made in 1993. Serial numbers for standard Peugeot at this time are generally fairly reliable for the year but ones built for professional use seem to have a different system entirely. This serial number is 3P.93.1. Some more pictures, showing the clean steerer tube and alongside a 753 frame:

708 was in use by 1992, not exactly sure when introduced (the 1992 brochure says ‘a recent development’), has 8 full length ribs in the main tubes (not full length in the seat tube), designed for riding in the classics. Not a common tube set, I’ve read positive accounts from cycle tourers but not seen a lot of information. Peugeot sold 708 frames and bikes for a year or two from 1992, equipped with Sachs components.

Here's part of the Reynolds 1992 brochure:

Need to decide what to build this up with. Noting what Peugeot used from the brochures, could look out for Sachs New Success components – appears to be some good stuff available; or go the traditional Shimano or Campag route. Having seen some pictures of these bikes with yellow cabling that’s one thing that is settled! With Christmas out of the way now have time to build up some bikes.

Any views, advice?

Thanks

Attachments

• P1010441.JPG
    P1010441.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 2,573
  • P1010435.JPG
    P1010435.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 2,568
  • P1010427.JPG
    P1010427.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 2,571
  • P1010443.JPG
    P1010443.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 2,575
  • 5435208467_3c13ca17d4_b.jpg
    5435208467_3c13ca17d4_b.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 2,581
Re:

Nice, don't often see 708 tubed Peugeots! :xmas-cool:

I look out for them myself occasionally, and remember a friend having one in two tone metallic grey IIRC.
I think the BigMat team were clad in red and yellow, so would be surprised if they used blue/yellow colours. The Festina squad may have though, they used yellow and blue Peugeots, after the Vitus frames they had previously ridden.
How about Mavic components? Just a thought. Look forward to seeing what you do with this one.
My first proper bike was a Peugeot 531 framed jobbie, with RX100 components. It broke. Got another under warranty.
Hope you have better luck with yours. :xmas-wink:

Mike

A friend of mine in Paris had one of these with a full MAVIC group, which certainly looked the part. My recollection is that he bought it as a complete bike, so it's likely that it was the original equipment.

Re:

Thanks for the comments.

Here’s the catalogue from 1992, with the spec: mostly Mavic, Sachs + some 3TTT. I think that’s going to be the way I go (ok, there was a part Sachs groupset on e-bay for reasonable price yesterday). Will have some fun with the bar tape (been looking at Mario’s for tape and he still has some very interesting mixes
( http://www.defietsenmaker.nl ) .

Not sure which team this may have been built for, got the sense that the seller collected a lot of old equipment, not necessarily just what was used by the BM team. Found photo of the Big Mat jersey in 1997 Peugeot catalogue, red and yellow as Mike said:

I have a virtually unused DA 7400 groupset from 1991 that might get transferred while I’m waiting for the rest of the components - this might take a while. My partner dug out an old blue / yellow Peugeot jersey I had years ago that is a perfect colour match and rather more restrained than some of the Peugeot offerings. Having just watched the ‘dead parrot’ sketch again
( viewtopic.php?f=23&t=378078#p2806210 ) I’ve realised that this Peugeot is painted in the colours of a Norwegian Blue – now that did surprise me!

Attachments

• Peugeot%201992%20France%20Course%20Brochure%20CR1000PC.jpg
    Peugeot%201992%20France%20Course%20Brochure%20CR1000PC.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 2,372
  • BigMat jersey.jpg
    BigMat jersey.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 2,369
  • P1010461.JPG
    P1010461.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 2,369
Re: Re:

Chat Noir":2fh1zy4l said:
Thanks for the comments.

Here’s the catalogue from 1992, with the spec: mostly Mavic, Sachs + some 3TTT. I think that’s going to be the way I go (ok, there was a part Sachs groupset on e-bay for reasonable price yesterday). Will have some fun with the bar tape (been looking at Mario’s for tape and he still has some very interesting mixes
( http://www.defietsenmaker.nl ) .

Not sure which team this may have been built for, got the sense that the seller collected a lot of old equipment, not necessarily just what was used by the BM team. Found photo of the Big Mat jersey in 1997 Peugeot catalogue, red and yellow as Mike said:

I have a virtually unused DA 7400 groupset from 1991 that might get transferred while I’m waiting for the rest of the components - this might take a while. My partner dug out an old blue / yellow Peugeot jersey I had years ago that is a perfect colour match and rather more restrained than some of the Peugeot offerings. Having just watched the ‘dead parrot’ sketch again
( viewtopic.php?f=23&t=378078#p2806210 ) I’ve realised that this Peugeot is painted in the colours of a Norwegian Blue – now that did surprise me!

It's strange how I can remember things like that, yet ask me where I drove my truck two days ago? No Way!

Mike

Re:

Well, bits have arrived.

Some fun blue and yellow bar tape has arrived from Mario in Holland: splash tape could be brilliant or miss by a mile. These colours are a perfect match so think I might use this, although now yellow cables might be a touch too far, even with the Norwegian Blue theme!

Sachs New Success hard to find as a full groupset but then I saw a full bike with Sachs NS. Didn’t sell, contacted the seller and we agreed a price to take the set off the frame, including wheels.

Part of the fun about using unfamiliar components is learning about them and working out how to set them up. One good link I’ve found is http://lecycleur.com/parts/history-of-s ... w-success/ . Some of the earlier parts I obtained are amongst the shiniest stuff I’ve ever seen, even more than DA 7400.

The chainset has a lovely satin finish, nothing to indicate who or where it was made. Velobase suggests this is the one made by Thun, weighing only 643g. Front and rear derailleurs in very good condition, and that’s without cleaning up yet. The hubs feel extremely smooth before any regreasing. The brakes, made by Modolo, look in perfect condition. Decided to go with ergo-levers, branded Sachs but assume these are simply Campag and look identical to some 8 speed Athenas I have.

I have seen some Miche Prima seatposts but nothing in 27.2 yet. Will keep on looking for suitable 3t stem, probably going back to Mario again (he has good range of NOS and his prices are pretty fair). Obtaining a Selle saddle doesn’t look to be a problem but given I sometimes like to ride long distances I might stick with a tried and tested Brooks.

Will try and get some photos in the light tomorrow. Any advice and info on Sachs NS would be welcome.

Thanks

Back