80s Rourke Rebuild

fatboyjim

Retro Newbie
New here so any advice or opinions welcome.

Just started this rebuild. Had the frame made for me in 1985, original spec was typical 80s road racer - white turbo saddle, GP4 rims, Cinelli 65 bars, 1R stem, Mavic SSC derailleurs, Look clip in pedals. Other parts were a mixture of whatever I could find.

Frame is 531 Pro and the forks were 531. Chromed Campag dropouts with chromed rear stay. Rear brake cable goes through top tube which at the time was a relatively new feature I think.

Plan is to have the frame renovated at BR and to get the rest of the stuff as original as possible. Already have bars, stem and rims. Sourcing some Campag SR derailleurs but not sure what else would suit.

Also, what's the general opinion on "new old stock" parts? Have heard mixed reports and they seem way over priced.

Cheers

James

Attachments

• IMG_0580.JPG
    IMG_0580.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,514
Re:

Hi James
It will look great painted. Is the chrome salvageable? Built with NR/SR would look great but equally would build well with lower level kit. NOS Campag can be pretty expensive and used stuff generally cleans up well. If you're in no rush, keep an eye on eBay for bargains and the retrobike forums too.

Thanks JSH. There are some rust spots on the chrome so I'm planning on a strip back to the bare metal and go from there. In no rush on this, want to do it "properly" so will take my time. The SR front mech is NOS, rear mech will need a lot of cleaning up. Wanted to make the comparison between NOS and used to see what is realistic in terms of which parts will be best. Putting cost to one side would full Campag SR be overkill for the level of the frame or am I overthinking this? can the components be too good for the frame on this kind of rebuild?

NOS is nice but once fitted, it's no longer NOS. if you look for SR in good condition, it won't cost the earth. I've had many renovation jobs done at Rourkes and they are quite reasonable. If you are having the original colours, it will be probably £200-230. Save the chromed dropouts if you can. I look at it this way: you can repaint that and buy V.good Campag SR for probably £1000 or less. This will be a top end build of the period. What would £1000 get you today?

Understand what you mean and could end up with a v. nice bike by going high with the components. Just saw your blue Rourke with SR on here and it looks fantastic. Will look at the frame next, get it into Rourke's and see what needs to be done. Based in Northampton but often in Manchester so can get into Stoke easily enough.

James, I'm looking at splitting and selling this one. I need to make some space. Would you be interested in any of the kit?

Attachments

• IMG_0433.JPG
    IMG_0433.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 1,386
awesome!
i've always loved Rourke frame... especially their seat-node lugs...
simply and effective... something that reconnect my "less is more" mood...
beautiful bike!

JSH - could be interested in the brakes and chainset. Can you let me know what they are exactly? Can't tell from the photo. Are the brakes suitable for recessed brake holes? What lengths are the cranks, how many teeth on the rings? Also an idea of the age would be interesting.

Cheers

James

fatboyjim":390u9luy said:
JSH - could be interested in the brakes and chainset. Can you let me know what they are exactly? Can't tell from the photo. Are the brakes suitable for recessed brake holes? What lengths are the cranks, how many teeth on the rings? Also an idea of the age would be interesting.

Cheers

James
Hi James
chainset is Super Record Strada 1049/A - date coded C1985
crank length 170mm and rings are 42/52

brake calipers are v2 Super Record 4061 with Campag script logo - not sure on date but v2 were made between 83-87ish. They have the correct alloy shoes but I have replaces the brake blocks with Campag specific Koolstop blocks. They are recessed allen key fitting

Brake levers are Super Record 4062 - very good condition. I have replaced the hoods with pattern items (the old ones had long since split and perished)

I will take some pictures and PM them to you with an idea of price

Cheers
John

Back