Bernard Carré (around 1980), take 2

bikesandwatches

Dirt Disciple
Hello! :D

Last month, I bought a nice naked frame from the french framebuilder Bernard Carré. I intended to build a 100% french bike (or as much a possible), using components from around 1980 (I was born in 1981). While I researched the builder on the Net, I found that this very frame has already been shown here, with great details :!:

My build will not be exactly the same of course: I do not intend to minimize weight at all cost, and it will use slightly more modern components.

First, some pictures of the frame.

l1021814.jpg

l1021813.jpg

dsc_6022.jpg

dsc_6024.jpg

dsc_6025.jpg

Here is what I got so far. I found a nice wheelset, early Mavic MA40 with Maillard/Spidel and Mavic hubs, with a small sticker of the wheel builder. The Sapim spokes are stainless steel, and not french (but belgian is close enough).

l1021812.jpg

I found an uncommon JPR handle bar, some Mafac brake handles. Some sidepull Mafacs are incoming.

dsc_6026.jpg

dsc_6027.jpg

A titanium Huret group would be nice, I found some gorgeous derailleur shifters from the Success group.

dsc_6028.jpg

That's a really lovely looking frame and should build into a great rider.
Look forward to seeing it come together :)

Jamie

Very nice!

I too am on the French thing with a Daniel Salmon - I was very lucky as this has the titanium rear mech and Spidel / Mafac components plus the pretty unique if a bit useless mudguards.

I am led to believe that at the time, French law required the name of the bikes owner to be on the bike somewhere

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=367580

Its back on the proper wheels now but heres a pic for inspiration

file.php

I treated myself to a nice pair of brakes :cool:

[Mafac LSX, I can't mount centrepulls because of the JPR headset so it is either CLB pro or some late high end Mafac, LS, LS2, LSX]

Attachments

• DSC_6095.jpeg
    DSC_6095.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,877
bikesandwatches-

You will love the Carre once built.The Mafac LS are excellent on a Carre. I put them on my Carre/Bertin C 37 and they look great. Replace the brake blocks first thing as the OEM don't stop as they have hardened over time.

restoration-brakes-and-bars.jpg

Rustines makes Mafac hood replacements as well.

http://www.rustines.fr/21-le-velo

It took some time last fall but I finally found a bar setup I'm happy with (chronic shoulder pain did not help):

Old shool sawn off bars (not the rare JPR!), allowing to comfortably use the MAFAC perforated levers. Rides like a dream on panaracers, quite comfy.

Now I'll have to take better pictures of it in the spring.

Attachments

• bcarre.jpg
    bcarre.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 726
Back