Raleigh Competition - TI/501SL

MartinB123

Senior Retro Guru
Saw this on Gumtree earlier, the seller was only in the city centre so I popped down to take a look in my lunch break.

Turns out it's a Raleigh Competition with Reynolds 501sl tubing and was made by TI Raleigh :)

It's complete bar the rear wheel which was stolen from outside halls. Condition is alright, a bit tatty but should clean up well I think.

• Shimano 600 crankset, derailleurs & brake levers

Shimano golden arrow (i think calipers)

Wolber front wheel

This is it so far, will hopefully get some more pictures in due course...

Pic from gumtree:

Pics of the stickers once I got the bike back to work:

Thanks!

Got it home and spent 10 mins fitting a matching pair of wheels (mavic rims with Campag hubs), a spare fluted seatpost and Rolls saddle and tweaked the handlebars/stem.

Won't get a chance to do anything else as I have an exam next week but my plan after that will be to strip down, clean and fit new cables as well as changing cassette!

Re:

And the chrome forks as well!
Spotted this on glumtree also, top buy.
Incidentally if you wanted a good lead for cabling, give Velo Due a look up?
They do terrific gear and cable sets for just under £20 posted. Lots of colours and they also do the old style wound metal ones. Great service and nice people run it.
cheers
Richard

Re: Re:

richardshill":267gj0q2 said:
And the chrome forks as well!
Spotted this on glumtree also, top buy.
Incidentally if you wanted a good lead for cabling, give Velo Due a look up?
They do terrific gear and cable sets for just under £20 posted. Lots of colours and they also do the old style wound metal ones. Great service and nice people run it.
cheers
Richard

Ah that sounds good - will take a look!

Stripped down this evening, fitted a better cassette to the rear and ditched the 52/44 rings in favour of 53/38 from a more modern Shimano crank. With my gear inch calculations, I should be more than capable of riding up anything I've previously got up on better equipped bikes (Dartmoor & Lake District etc).

Hopefully I'll be able to clean and fit new chain, cables and brake pads towards the end of next week and take for a ride.

Contemplating using her for Ride London in a fortnight. Hmmm.

BYCJntG.jpg

Re:

Oxford to The London? At least you'll know what else will need replacing and you could probably find half a dozen bike shops on the way :)

Put her back together with a new chain, cables and pads on Wednesday - she rides really smooth, I guess the 25c tyres and marginally heavier tubing makes for a more comfy ride than i'm used to riding. I have also bought a set of Shimano 600 calipers from eBay to match the current group as I currently have golden arrows fitted.

20214493_1495653933830116_7930406066930581504_n.jpg

Re:

Love these 501sl competitions, so rare as they were only made in 86 and 87. Yours should be Shimano 600 throughout mine came with 105 or 1050 and index gears. Used mine for erotica twice great ride

Back