!985 La Vie Claire Bernard Hinault 753

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've just finished building this beauty for a chap who found my last attempt at this bike on the internet somewhere. Since then, World Cycle Decals reworked the transfers from photos I sent them and did the job to perfection.
I found a few sets of Reynolds 753R tubes on ebay and bought them - this was built from one such set. The fork crown and BB shell are Cinelli and the lugs supplied by Bob Jackson in Leeds who did an absolutely spectacular job on the frame - I'm one fussy bugger and this surpassed my expectations!
The parts were all from ebay and you wonderful lot - I/ we can't thank you enough - I can honestly say that this is the nicest bike I've ever built and ever seen and brings me right back to the mid 80s.

Anyway, enough chat - here's the bike..

:cool:

Re:

Superb.......................................... Just needs one thing IMHO an nice red Hinault Turbo ;) ;) :facepalm:

I've seen the frame in the flesh at Bob Jacksons Nice to see it built up looks great Craig nice job

That is really very lovely, very special :)
You have done a great job and I imagine it rides as well as it looks.

Jamie

Wow. :cool:
Very tasty.
Not quite sure I understand the story though. You got Bob Jacksons to build this frame with 753 tubes that you were looking for 2 years ago, and then you built this up for someone else? Is that right? Who is the lucky owner then?

Re:

Thanks for your comments, chaps - it's a nice one indeed!

I had already found two sets of 753 when Steven contacted me via this forum and asked if I would help him build this bike. It's a bike that I've long been obsessed with and could literally build it in my sleep given the right parts and materials. As I didn't want to sell my 753 tubes I told him to go on the lookout for another set, which he duly did and found them. I did all the advising and most of the contact with Bob Jackson in Leeds.

It took a good 6-8 months to find all the parts and get it together but has been well worth it. It's so nice that I am thinking of having one made for myself and my pal, Mike, who is also '80s daft has been making noises in that direction too, so I dare say that the 753 tubes won't see 2018 inside their cosy 1980's boxes!

It's been a lot of fun building this bike - I wonder what the La Vie Claire boys would think of it?!

:D

Re:

Thanks for your kind comments, folks. Trying to figure a reasonably priced way of getting to the bike packed up and off to Stephen in Frankfurt. Courier companies are ridiculously expensive - the latest being DHL at £280!!! :shock: I think I might well be hanging on to it until he can get a cheap flight over here and can take the bike back with him on the return leg..

Have you tried senditnow.com. I have posted with them about 15 times and no issues. You pay a little extra with insurance but set your parcel price. Added bonus you can drop bike off at post office.

Back