New build - Filet de Cougar

jackosbournesnr

Senior Retro Guru
Cougar number 3 joined the Jackosbournesnr collection a few weeks ago and all the parts are ready to put it together...

Lovely fillet-brazed Columbus SLX frame. Quite a lot of scratches in the paintwork but I'm going to build her up and take her for a ride before deciding on a powder coat or full enamel repaint.Touch up isnt really going to work on this one. The brazing is super smooth and I'm toying with the idea of stripping the paint and going for a brushed raw steel and clear coat finish.

SLX tubing, Everest bottom bracket, Columbus dropouts. Frame number puts it as late 93 or early 94.

Got a set of straight chrome forks to swap in as I don't think the Visia carbon jobs do anything for how this one looks. Carbon would probably complement the naked finish better though.

I have a 2005 Record carbon chainset and assorted Record 10 speed components to fit.

Attachments

• s-l1600-720x405.jpg
    s-l1600-720x405.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 969
The photo is the sellers, I'm long since passed the days where cream leather sofas were practical... But the frame looks every bit as good from a few feet. The decals are gubbed and starting to break through the clear coat and the scratch count is too high to attempt a touch up exercise.

My thinking is a quick build and test ride to gauge it's long term value (to me) as a rideable bike... If it's okay/good it gets powder coated and if it's a good/great ride it gets a bit more effort.

This one won't be as quick a finish as my last few but I'll aim to get it on the road for a test by the end of next weekend. I'm currently in Portugal until next Wednesday but I have a couple of days off before the weekend to faff...

Re:

Lovely!

Will look ace with straight chrome forks, too! :cool:

After my time but love the colour / chrome and frame build :) long rear dropouts as well.

The forks look completely to my eye but given I was born in the 50's it's not unsurprising lol

Just out of curiosity what year was the frame made?

The ITM Visia carbon forks are not original. It would almost certainly have had steel and probably chromed steel forks when first sold.

Whilst he Visia forks are reasonable quality they just don't look right on this frame... To my mind at least.

Back from Portugal now and have stripped the group from the donor bike. It'll be a compact carbon chainset and front mech going on rather than the triple here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x4z_nH ... p=drivesdk

'scuse the link... I'm working on my way round photobuckets attempt at extortion

My target of the end of the weekend might slip somewhat as I have lost two days thanks to a touch of food poisoning and some other work needing done:

I want to finish the build on my titanium bike that this group set came off (had a midlife crisis with a bottle of wine in me and my wallet to hand) with its shiny new Record 11 speed.

I also need to replace the drivetrain on my commuter having eked out every last mile from chain and cassette.

Back