1988 Raleigh Road Ace

jollygoodvelo

Retro Newbie
First post here and my first retro road bike... At least, my first since the 90s. Quick background: I'd been looking for a project for a while and this popped up on a local Facebook group, fitted with a horrible old cheap saddle with gel cover, totally shot old tyres and for some reason a GT bullhorn handlebar.

I could see that it had almost the full 600 group still on it.and a bit of research suggests it came from the Lightweight Unit, so went and picked it up for just £40. After almost totally dismantling it and a thorough cleaning, and some shopping, it's now rebuilt. I've tried to choose parts that are in keeping, but I'm not 100% purist about it; modern tyres, saddle, flat pedals and squidgy bar tape are intended to make it a fun just-ride-it bike, but I found the correct brake levers to complete the groupset and the handlebar is approximately correct too.

The frame is a bit rust-spotty, the rear wheel bearings are a bit lumpy, and the bar tape looks like it was done by a chimp (me), but I'm very pleased with it.

Interested in any views on the rust spots. I've wiped over with oil, but not sure if a full re-paint is really worth it...

Year: 1988 (I think!)
Frame (frame & forks): Raleigh Road Ace
Tubing: 531c
Lugs: Yes
Size: 21.5"

Headset: Shimano 600
Stem: unsure
Handlebars: Cinelli Type 66
Bar Tape: Decathlon

Brakes: Shimano 600 Aero

Gear levers: Shimano 600
Front Derailleur: Shimano 600
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 600

Cranks: Shimano 600
Chainrings: 53-42
Bottom Bracket: SKF
Pedals: Decathlon 300 Alloy
Freewheel: Shimano 600
Cassette: Uniglide 12-28
Chain: KMC

Rims: Mavic MA40
Hubs: Shimano 600
Tyres: Schwalbe Lugano skinwall 25mm

Saddle: Charge Spoon
Seatpost: SR Laprade fluted

Bottle Cage: tbc
Mudguards: no!

Bike Weight: 10kg as-ridden incl pedals. Exactly the same as my modern Boardman CX!

QfQoUWD.jpg

MVAwxcz.jpg

IK3zHMV.jpg

oTmZ55P.jpg

A little update.

I was forced to admit defeat on getting the rear hub open to service the bearings, so got it fixed - new cones and bearings - by a local bike shop, the wonderful Skinny Eric's Cycleworks in Hackney Wick.

It's also had new, modern, brake shoes and pads fitted because, well... being able to stop is good.

Since then it's been used more often than my Boardman CX, making the most of the good weather. It did 50km around the Ride London Freecycle with not a single creak or whimper and it felt very correct to be riding a proper British bike around all the 'iconic' landmarks.

Attachments

• buck800.jpg
    buck800.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 1,758
  • bridge800.jpg
    bridge800.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,758
very nice, I have an 89 model
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99314009@ ... 283749253/

Your looks to be 88 as you suggest, frame number will confirm down to month, see attached. Also there old catalogues on the VCC site for both years that give the exact spec which includes differences in bar/stem, rims, gearing etc.

They go really well I use mine as main road bike for club runs and the like.

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,099
Whats up with one rim being black and the other silver?

I would give paint a go over with car polish - t-cut can reduce rust.

Back